News:

Main Menu

27" iMac

Started by Joe, August 14, 2012, 10:28:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe

I have a 100 mbps connection at home and I still have buffering issues occasionally. Netflix is the best with almost no buffering. Hulu Plus was a nightmare when I tried their 30 day free trial. And even though I have Amazon Prime I have never tried watching any of their streaming options.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

David

my wife actually has an amazon credit card...  yeah I know, evil scary...

so this makes us "prime", so I was thinking of maybe, if it was doable, getting the fire tv, but if it buffers all the time, I see no benefit.
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

Farabomb

Try to stream it on your laptop. If it gives issue then it probably wouldn't be the best investment.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Joe

Quote from: david on October 29, 2014, 10:57:29 AMmy wife actually has an amazon credit card...  yeah I know, evil scary...

so this makes us "prime", so I was thinking of maybe, if it was doable, getting the fire tv, but if it buffers all the time, I see no benefit.

Having the credit card doesn't make you "Prime". Paying the $99 per year will though. Streaming quality can vary greatly from day to day. Depends on how the servers between you and the source are behaving at any given moment.

Joe

Oh yeah and some ISP's have been known to cut bandwidth for services like Netflix, Hulu, etc.  ***cough cough...AT&T - Verizon cough***

Farabomb

But Joe, That's illegal. They wouldn't possibly do that.  :sarcasm:

Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Joe

David

Quote from: Joe on October 29, 2014, 11:07:22 AMHaving the credit card doesn't make you "Prime". Paying the $99 per year will though.
you may be right, but we get some serious discounts for having the "card", it may be a wash anyways.
Livin' la Vida Loca

Joe

Maybe it does. I'm not really sure. I was already a prime member when I signed up for the credit card. I got $60 off of the order I was making just to sign up for the credit card. Still haven't used it and have no plans to use it in the future but I do thank them for the $60 discount on what I was buying.

Joe

Quote from: Farabomb on October 29, 2014, 09:17:12 AMYup, amazon prime members can preorder until today 6:00 PM PST I believe. Otherwise it's $39.

This is the stick, not the full FireTV.

Finally read up on this device. It is not like the Chromecast. It doesn't "cast" the video from a phone or computer. Everything is streamed directly to this device. Plus it has its own remote. I wish I would have got in for the $19 now. Let me know if you like it and I might splurge for the $39.

Farabomb

Yes, it's like the Fire TV shrunk down. They compare it next to the crapcast but it's a bit different. I'll let you know for sure. The reviews put it with the Roku stick but since my Roku has gone flaky lately I'm a little wary of getting another device from them right now.

—Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Joe

This is gonna be a long one....

So the conclusion to this particular iMac has come to an end. To sum up the history...

It is a 2011 27" iMac (the last one with the internal DVD) I bought refurbished from the Apple store

Applecare Issue #1:

Video issues eventually worsened until it would not boot.
Apple repair facility replaced logic board, video card, and hard drive. They had it for 1 and half weeks.

When I got it back I noticed some scuff marks on the display but I didn't complain.

Applecare Issue #2:

Video problems returned. Eventually worsened until it would not boot.
Apple repair facility replaced logic board, video card, and hard drive. I insisted they replace the display as well since they damaged it last time. They refused. I called Apple. Apple made them change the display. They had it for 3 weeks.

Applecare Issue #3:

When I got it back I noticed some very minor scuff marks on the NEW display but I didn't complain.

Applecare Issue #3:

The "very minor scuff marks" on the display had developed into major scuff marks plus I was getting some weird video lines and occasionally followed by lockups. The replaced the display and some other board. They didn't tell me exactly which board they replaced. I had refused to go back to the same shop that damaged the display twice previously so they came to my house on this call.

Shortly after Applecare Issue #3 every now and then I would get a whole bunch of tiny multi-colored boxes and anytime you would see them you could bank on the Mac locking up and have to be powered down and re-started. At first it would maybe only happen once a week or so but it eventually got to where it was happening several times per day. Soooooooo....still with me?

Applecare Issue #4:

During the "Applecare Issue #3" the support person had told me that if I have any more issues after having the video issue 3 times that it would qualify for replacement. So with that still fresh in my mind I embarked on my new mission. The first support person I talked to was very nice. Didn't even sound foreign. Agreed that this particular iMac had chronic hardware problems and thought it should be replaced. But it had to hand it over to senior support advisor and he would call me back in an hour. So he calls and he is not a senior support advisor and knew nothing about my case so I had to explain it all over again. Then he said he would get me to a senior support advisor. After waiting 20 minutes he gets on the phone and says "how can I help you today?"...completely clueless of my case! After explaining the whole @$#%%#$#$^ shebang to him again he said he had to consult with someone else. I don't know who exactly but I'm guessing it was the ghost of Steve Jobs since it took another 20 minutes. After 20 minutes he comes back and said after consulting with the ghost of Jobs that it was determined my iMac did NOT qualify for replacement!!! Oh man....was I pissed now. I don't even remember now what all was said but if this person ever decides to release the recording on the internet I envision it is quite entertaining with many curse words peppered throughout. I know at several points I called everyone at Apple a bunch of hipster f#&%ing liars. I demanded to speak to a supervisor at some point and after about 5 minutes on hold, I thought they were just going to leave me hung out there and I probably deserved it, a pleasant sounding gentleman got on the phone and apologized and said it sounded to him like my iMac should qualify for a replacement. But all he can do is make a recommendation to the administration support group and they have the final say. So I ask how long that is going to take? I figured next week probably but he said it is usually within 48 hours and most times the same day. He said they would call when they reach their decision. About 5:15 pm Saturday evening I get a call from Apple. Pleasant sounding young lady informed me the decision was that they were going to replace the unit.

:dancer:

I figured I would get a similar refurbished model. Same year, speed, yada yada...

My current one is:

2011 27" iMac (the last one with the internal DVD) I bought refurbished from the Apple store
It came with 4 gb RAM
2.7 GHz Intel Core i5
1 TB hard drive.
And I bought Applecare thankfully

The new one that is shipping out Monday is:

2014 27" iMac | NEW - not refurbished
8 gb RAM
3.2 GHz Intel Core i5
1 TB hard drive.

They gave me the option of either transferring the remaining Applecare to the new machine which means I would only have 207 days of Applecare on the new one or getting a refund on the remaining time. If I did the latter I can buy the full Applecare for the full 3 years on the new machine. I chose the latter. So I get a new machine and it will have the 3 full years of Applecare. It took 8 hours on the phone yesterday over this. I'm happy with the end result but still pissed at what I had to go through. >:(

frailer

:-\  That was painful just reading it, let alone living through it. They must have an internal obstacle course scenario, where they 'reward' you at the end. A bit like those Bear Grills type wilderness programs.I suggest you visit the local Native American community and find a wise old man to teach you a special dance, which you'll then do around the new machine. For a minimum of 15 minutes.
We await further 'developments' with our 2 2011 27"ers here at work.
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

David

Quote from: Joe, a really pissed off guyIt took 8 hours on the phone yesterday over this.[\quote]

good thing it didn't take all day...   :sarcasm:

fuckers, I guess they figured that if they could make you waste a whole day it was worth it to them to just give you another one.
They probably have some sort of game board on the wall so they can keep track of "who's got the most losers today", winner buys the beers.
Livin' la Vida Loca

Joe

Yeah that was my kind of thinking too. Something like "we know this should be replaced but we're going to make the guy work his ass off for it" while we play "How close can we bring this person to a stroke without it actually happening" game. :deadhorse: