My second job... VICTORY!

Started by DigitalCrapShoveler, April 07, 2010, 01:29:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DigitalCrapShoveler

Some of you may or may not know, I took on a second job a few months back handling the production of a local magazine. Since that time, it has been a real struggle to get it out on time because of the SalesPukes and their lack of honoring any kind of deadline. If I set a deadline for the 25th of the month, I get shit all the way till 1 day before print, sometimes after. When I try to address these issues, I get the typical bullshit responses that you would expect; customers are dragging their feet, I couldn't get this or that... whatever.

Now, the guy I work for is also the same guy I trained about a year ago on a Mac. It was a freelance/consulting/training gig and since, this guy and I have worked together in some capacity or another until I finally ultimately took over production. I have the usual battles concerning low rez images, or non-existent artwork, but lately the SalesPukes have been getting even lazier. I used to get 2 full weeks to get a 64 page mag done, now I get a week for the same pay.

Last night, I was called into a production meeting last minute. Beforehand I was told that this is my show and ANYTHING I decide goes. I told him some of my ideas about possible fining the Pukes when they exceed the deadline. This was based on the comment I made to him regarding the only way to get a Puke to do what you want is through his wallet. He agreed and furthermore will be subject to the same fine... 1 minute or 5 days past deadline... 50% of their commission goes in my pocket. I told them all, i would rather not have your money and NOT have to stay up for 3 consecutive days straight making up for lost time. Honor the deadline, honor your wallet.

After, my boss says to me, "earlier today, I told the entire Sales Staff, this is Jason's magazine. He has ultimate authority on what goes in and what does not. If you piss him off and he leaves, I am shutting the doors and working at McDonalds. If you work hard, you will be rewarded, if you don't, look for another job. I'm tired of your shit!"

I call this a victory, and 20 years of bent up frustration with Sales Pukes. Hahahahahahaha!

BTW, I am NOT a Desinger, I am a Prepress guy riding the line to the Dark Side. Scary, scary shit.
Member #285 - Civilian

gnubler

Sales  :puke2:
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

Farabomb

Well fucking done!

Even in these hard times pukes just don't get it.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

DigitalCrapShoveler

I know. I already make their life Hell, now I have to authority to back it. Heheheheeheh, it's like giving a bazooka to a 12 year old.
Member #285 - Civilian

Joe

Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Stiv

Thanks, you made me smile. There still may be hope for the rest of us. You are our leader.

All Hail Jason! Hoorah!

youston

Quote from: Stiv on April 07, 2010, 02:59:13 PMThanks, you made me smile. There still may be hope for the rest of us. You are our leader.

All Hail Jason! Hoorah!

Nooooooooooo!  :death:

DigitalCrapShoveler

Fuck, check this out... my normal job, they are firing my manager tomorrow. I am now in full command of Prepress. WTF?!? I can't handle all this good news, I'll probably stroke out on the way home.
Member #285 - Civilian

Joe

Sit on the floor, put your head between your legs, and kiss your a$$ goodbye.  :laugh:

Congrats though. :ninja2:
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

DigitalCrapShoveler

Yeah, I am still in shock. Very, very unexpected. My compadres here are all in shock. It is very unlike my company to do something to actually help my department.

Thanks Joe.
Member #285 - Civilian

DigitalCrapShoveler

Quote from: Stiv on April 07, 2010, 02:59:13 PMThanks, you made me smile. There still may be hope for the rest of us. You are our leader.

All Hail Jason! Hoorah!

Hahahahahahah, you don't want that. But let it be an inspiration to you all. Sales Pukes don't always win.
Member #285 - Civilian

David

it's okay, it's just a dream....

now, outwiththebad...   inwiththegood...

it'll all be better in the morning
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

DigitalCrapShoveler

I am still in a daze right now. I was just told it I have carte blanche control and whatever I need as far as OT is approved. It's like a dream Dave, I still can't believe it.
Member #285 - Civilian

tapdn

...for some strange reason something comes to mind about foxes in the hen house and patients running the nut ward comes to mind. :undecided:

oh yeah... congrads DCS.
usually fried mate - sometimes pickled - often scrambled - never beaten
~ Sir B. Monsteaure
No, he's well within his rights to diss cake. Pie, on the other hand, is waaaayyyy off limits.
~Youston
I'm just a stupid printer WTF do I know
~Farabomb

ratintrap