News:

Main Menu

TIME MACHINE!

Started by Zach, July 24, 2008, 03:28:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zach

I'm really glad that I've been using time machine -- it saved my ass today. Just to let everyone know, this was the first time that I said to myself "oh shit, that's right, isn't time machine supposed to help in situations like this...?" I just went back a couple of hours, grabbed the file that I was looking for, and bam! The flux capacitor kicked in and I was back in business -- no bullshit.
Operating System: Gas, Direct Piston Driven, High Cyclic Rate, Belt-Fed.

DigiCorn

I've been on the same Mac and backing up with Time Machine since July 2012. Now my external backup drive is full. Can I just go in to the Time Machine folder and delete old archives? Say manually delete all but the last three months?
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

Tracy

I must look into this :embarrassed:

David

Do you use it for more than just time machine?
Time Machine will overwrite all the old archives with new ones, so even if it is full, it will continue to do the backups.
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

DCurry

Love me some Time Machine - it's saved my butt a couple times, too. Also good for finding out what others have been doing on the internet after they clear the history!
Prinect • Signa Station • XMPie

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night. But set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

DigiCorn

Quote from: david on April 17, 2014, 03:28:12 PMDo you use it for more than just time machine?
Time Machine will overwrite all the old archives with new ones, so even if it is full, it will continue to do the backups.
No. That external is used for TM only. It doesn't seem to be overwriting the old ones, as my Desktop HD is 640GB  and the external is 2TB. I'm going to delete the entire TM backup from the external and start with a new one.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

David

found this tidbit:

QuoteIf your backup drive fills up

As your backup drive begins to fill up to its capacity, Time Machine intelligently deletes the oldest backups to make room for newer ones. It also alerts you if the "Notify after old backups are deleted" option is selected in Time Machine preferences.

Consider the following options if your backup disk is filling up often, causing your oldest available backups to be erased sooner than you might want:

Use an additional drives for your backups or transfer your backups to a new, larger drive using the steps in Time Machine: How to transfer backups from the current backup drive to a new backup drive. 
         Tip: You can also browse the original backup drive for past backups by using "Browse other Time Machine Disks"--to see this choice, hold the Option key then click the Time Machine menu in the Finder (to see the menu, "Show Time Machine status in the menu bar" must be selected in Time Machine preferences.

Reduce the amount of information being backed up by adding to the "Exclude these items from backups" list in Time Machine preferences, as mentioned above. Your backup drive will fill up less often.

Delete file(s) that are no longer needed (such as from your desktop, Documents folder, or other Home folder locations), so they will no longer be backed up.  You can also enter the Time Machine restore interface and find files that can be removed from the backup drive itself to conserve space. To do this, select the file(s) and from the Action pop-up menu (gear icon) in the Time Machine Finder window choose "Delete All Backups of...". Be sure to only delete files you are sure you won't need or want to restore later.
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

DigiCorn

yeah, it's not working. and the NAS won't let me delete the backup files either.
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

― Ernest Hemingway

DigiCorn

came in this a.m. and was able to delete my TM backups from the NAS and initiated a new backup set starting with today, so it's finally all good.
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

― Ernest Hemingway