Web Hosting

Started by Joe, January 30, 2012, 04:18:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe

Time for hosting renewal. Might switch away from Hostgator as it seems they are now overpriced over the competition and after researching it I found 3 hosting companies that are cheaper and rated higher (not by an official source).

FastDomain

HostMonster

BlueHost

They are all priced the same - $2.41 per month cheaper than Hostgator for the same product.

Anyone have any real world experience with any of these?
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

gnubler

Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

David

there's always godaddy...
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

Farabomb

Think I have 2 years left on gator so I won't be looking soon. Good to hear others experiences though.

I think Delooch has used HostMonster.

FUCK GoDaddy and their SOPA loving ass.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Joe

David

I though you would get a kick outa that...     :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

Joe

Quote from: Farabomb on January 31, 2012, 08:28:54 AMThink I have 2 years left on gator so I won't be looking soon. Good to hear others experiences though.

I think Delooch has used HostMonster.

FUCK GoDaddy and their SOPA loving ass.

Don't get me wrong....I have not had any problems with Hostgator. It's just that my hosting package is expiring so I went and did some price comparisons. I can get the same thing for cheaper prices at those other places. I've been happy with Hostgator as far as reliability and performance and I'm a little concerned about switching to another company.

Joe

Quote from: david on January 31, 2012, 09:46:15 AMI though you would get a kick outa that...     :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Oddly, GoDaddy did not make the list of the review of the top Hosting providers I was looking at. :huh:

Joe

Oh man...my head is spinning. You can find horror stories out there about all of the popular shared hosting providers including Hostgator. At least with Hostgator I know what I have. I think I'll be staying put even if it is a couple of dollars a month more than other providers. The one thing I found is a lot of the shared hosting companies are owned by the same individual. Like in my first posts links, the same guy owns BlueHost and several others. If you are a good and reliable provider why would you need to do that?

Farabomb

Sometimes the devil you know is better than the one you don't.

Take a 7 out of your post count and it's the year I was born (1976)

Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

gnubler

What are you paying, Joe? I pay around $60/yr for my site and don't want to change because of good service. All my sites are hosted through a reseller.
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

Joe

Quote from: gnubler on February 01, 2012, 01:12:44 AMWhat are you paying, Joe? I pay around $60/yr for my site and don't want to change because of good service. All my sites are hosted through a reseller.

I was paying $47.52 per year to host one domain but I needed to have more than one domain so I upgraded from the Hatchling plan to the Baby plan that allows me to host multiple domains and I'm now paying $76.32 per year. The three I linked in the first post charge right at the same amount for multiple domains that Hostgator is charging for hosting one domain. Not really worth the savings to chance getting piss poor performance or lousy support. Like I said, I know what I've got with HG.

Farabomb

Hope he got a discount on his hosting.

—Benjamin Franklin

My other job

gnubler

If that's real that guy is a waste of space.

Joe