Pressroom and plant wide lighting

Started by Dean Taylor, October 06, 2015, 06:55:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dean Taylor

Looking to see what other companies are doing. Recently our owner came back from peer group meeting and decided we need 5k lighting throughout the building. Normally would say this would be great but recently we have had suppliers in here telling us of a trend towards not using 5k lighting since the majority of the customers don't utilize 5k. Plant manager ( an experienced pressman) likes to make all final calls on press set ups based on taking proofs and press sheets out to will lit lobby that gets plenty of sunlight.
We have had issues in the past in which our press sheets match the proofs under 5k lights in the viewing booth but customer unhappy once they see the product in their offices.
Just trying to get some feed back on what is going trend in the industry.

Joe

Ahhh yes the old lighting issue. We don't have any kind of viewing booths here mainly because of the reason you state. I do remember the days where there were 5K booths everywhere including art directors all had them. Anymore customers just view them under normal room fluorescent lighting.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Made in Taiwan

I've heard it said that there are plenty of things that look great under 5k light might still look terrible under normal light...
Working in Prepress is very difficult. God chose only the best to do this job.

Farabomb

I don't see the point of producing something that only looks good under conditions that don't exist in the real world. I guess if I sold viewing boxes I'd think different.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         â€”Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Made in Taiwan

Definitely. Or did you ever hear a salesman say: "Well, if our product would not exist, nobody would miss it and actually it's completely useless anyway but would you still consider buying one?"

Made in Taiwan

It's all about standards. According to the standard, the color looks in 5k like whatever. But in real life, people don't have the equipment to see the same, what the printer or the art director see in their 5k booth. I think the best would be to just use normal light. In that case you can be pretty sure that if something looks good in the shop, it looks good in the hands of most clients, too.

born2print

always been a tough issue, but it is nice to view "critical" color with as few variables as possible.
5K K light booth vs. "the client needs to be called to see these, but only if the sun comes out... but not too sunny. Ya know, like when they were here last Wednesday..."
How will I laugh tomorrow...
when I can't even smile today?

David

do a weather check before the press check?
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

motormount

Problem is that you can't control your clients viewing conditions, but you can control yours.

So a client may be happy today, but the other month -after redecorating his studio - the reprint might seem less ''lucius'' to him.

If you have some steady lighting conditions things might end up to some kind of understanding, if not -like we and many others as i understand -, then you can move the sheets from press to offices, then to direct sunlight and then to your clients studio and still not getting anywhere...

Dean - like i said - we have no kind of viewing booths, or even a steady ''place'' were a sheet gets approved, might be in the press, might be in the managers office, or even somewhere else.

If it was up to my decision, i'd use viewing booths, having warned the client first -with a small paragraph in the job form/agreement - about possible inconsistencies due to the difference between his and ours viewing conditions.