News:

Main Menu

Packz software

Started by andyfest, January 28, 2014, 06:32:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

andyfest

Got an email today with regard to a new software - Packz - that has been developed by a bunch of ex-Artworks Systems alumni. Looks interesting enough for us to check out. Mostly applies to packaging/labeling but may have other applications. Is a standalone editing/trapping app for pdfs. Supposed to be very quick with no proprietary strings as files stay live in pdf format. Additonally you can choose an Illy-type or ArtPro-type GUI so the interface is more familiar to techs that use one or both of those apps.

"PACKZ contains a complete set of prepress-, editing- and quality assurance-functions, such as trapping, separation handling, barcode creation and recognition, dynamic creation of info panels, object based screening and many more. With its modern 64-bit architecture, running under OS-X and Windows, the native PDF-Editor ensures maximum performance and usability." 

www.packz.com.
Retired - CS6 on my 2012 gen MacBook Pro

Joe

Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

andyfest

There was a discussion recently in another thread that involved Abode's Creative Cloud and a standalone solution that would bypass all of Abode's software. Although I haven't seen a demo, this could possibly be that solution. Whereas Pitstop is a plug-in for Abode Acro, this is a standalone software package...

abc

Rumours are it's about 7,000-10,000 euros  :-)

andyfest

I hear you abc - it's just that some of the discussion in the other thread involved stand-alone software that would allow a complete cut from Abode's "cloud". I guess it's a matter of weighing the one-time cost of splitting entirely from Abode or maintaining a longterm software subscription (rental) by the seat for Abode. There will be people on both sides of that fence.

Joe

$13,500 x 14 users = $189,000. :faint:

You can get a lot of Adobe CC for $189,000!
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

PrepressN00b

We are demo'ing this product right now. Its lightning fast (64 bit mac and pc). Its like a newer Artpro built around native PDF.
Peter Kincaid
Hybrid Software

beermonster

we are forced to use the software desighners use - we dont accept pdfs as artwork so its all illy/cc based across the company (and its a very big company)

but being a bit nuts about this kinda stuff i'd like to see it
Leave me here in my - stark raving sick sad little world

andyfest

According to the Fuji guy I talked to late last week, they are going to be using Packz as a module for XMF to create a packaging-specific workflow!

beermonster

interesting. thing is i think esko have a majority of this market sown up - but i'm all for competition, especially against the adobes

swampymarsh

Quote from: Joe on January 31, 2014, 12:51:45 PM$13,500 x 14 users = $189,000. :faint:

You can get a lot of Adobe CC for $189,000!

One would hope that there would be volume licensing discounts after a set number of users!

swampymarsh

Quote from: andyfest on December 01, 2014, 07:13:52 PMAccording to the Fuji guy I talked to late last week, they are going to be using Packz as a module for XMF to create a packaging-specific workflow!

A little while back Kodak released a press release stating that they had formed a partnership and will be including Packz into a Prinergy Powerpack bundle.

beermonster

yeah but in reality how many of these actually sell - i just dont see many new investments in the current climate to get a new workflow and associated plug ins etc - esko has got it sown up clean

swampymarsh

Quote from: beermonster on January 02, 2015, 02:04:46 AMyeah but in reality how many of these actually sell - i just dont see many new investments in the current climate to get a new workflow and associated plug ins etc - esko has got it sown up clean

Esko do have the packaging market sewn up in many areas. This market has been their main focus.

The common thing that I hear from users is that they mostly love the software, but really really hate the company and pricing and licensing options. When the pain is great enough, these people look elsewhere. Part of the issue is that they may not even know that an alternative exists.

There are many "up front" creative and prepress tasks that Esko do well and it may be hard to replace them. Then there are many other tasks that other software may do just as good, if not better. The entire Esko system does not have to be replaced in these cases, just certain parts.

It is a similar story with Adobe.

beermonster

yeah true - i agree totally and the licensing thing is a real pita

we have desighners who take "ard" one ups from cad (artios), expand structural design layers as needed and dezine away. dozens and dozens of external agencies etc do the same thing (its awesome when they change a window on a flexo job and dont tell us - then wonder why there's a 1200 pound charge for a new rotry die)

when we get that artwork, we replace the expanded ard with a live ard that is linked to the multi up mfg layout. we also expand the bleed layer to create varnish plates if needed - which in food and fmcg is very very important.

we also use the dynamic barcodes all the time, and power trapper for everything (powercrapper as i call it is - well - not brilliant)

all of this is before it heads into plato and automation engine - so if the software can fit into these stages and handle those things then i CAN see a place for it in larger companies like mine. IF it becomes successful - well wont esko just buy it and shelve it (odobe - freehand....)?