News:

Main Menu

Preps 7

Started by jmaciag, November 19, 2015, 01:19:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DCurry

I still don't follow how that would involve a "print" step, but I know there are other ways to use Prinergy than what I'm doing.
Prinect • Signa Station • XMPie

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night. But set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

jmaciag

I understand there are many ways to handle impositions. It appears the way we used to be able to process them in Preps 5 is no longer an option in Preps 7. Thanks for all the input.
Mac OS 10.10.5 | Adobe CC 2015
Prinergy Connect 8 | Preps 8
Insite  Prepress Portal 8 | Screen 16000 VLF | Screen 36000ZX

Joe

Quote from: DCurry on November 20, 2015, 12:22:36 PMI still don't follow how that would involve a "print" step, but I know there are other ways to use Prinergy than what I'm doing.

It doesn't. In Preps 7 / Prinergy 7 it is "Save and Return to Prinergy". We actually don't impose in Preps anymore. We just use the Prinergy Signature Selection Tool to select templates and that creates the imposition. Really the only thing we use Preps for is to create/edit templates.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

DCurry

Yeah, we only use Preps for template creation/editing as well. We're on Prinergy 6 - does it not have "Save and Return to Prinergy"? I've never seen that button in the signature selection.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night. But set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Joe

No, the "Save and Return to Prinergy" is in Preps where the "Print" option used to be/still is if launched standalone.

The sig selection tool just has an OK button.

Mikie

We do things different here so this is a dumbass question. Are there not templates or something created that can be opened manually in preps when using the auto impo stuff in prinergy? I know the template can be modified for the automation but then its a new template. I still use preps as standalone and there's a file I can open and do with as I please.

I'm cool with adding some useful automation, but damn ya don't remove stuff when the program it's automating can already do stuff.

oh. Kodak, never mind.

DCurry

You can still work the old way, Mikie. Joe has helped me immensely with my recent transition. We have lots of templates that contain different forms within, and while we rarely need to edit a form, we often need to add one to an existing template.

In those situations, I open the template, which really will open up as an untitled Preps job. The first thing I do is to save the Preps job to my desktop (as a temporary measure only - this frees you up to mess with the forms within and rename them if needed). Then I add my form, and when I'm done I Save As Template and overwrite the original template. So far, this seems to be the least painful way to keep using what we've got and using our existing workflow without having to reinvent the wheel.

I still hate Preps 7. There are plenty of things that just take more time to do than they did in 5.

Joe

Quote from: Mikie on November 20, 2015, 07:26:29 PMWe do things different here so this is a dumbass question. Are there not templates or something created that can be opened manually in preps when using the auto impo stuff in prinergy? I know the template can be modified for the automation but then its a new template. I still use preps as standalone and there's a file I can open and do with as I please.

I'm cool with adding some useful automation, but damn ya don't remove stuff when the program it's automating can already do stuff.

oh. Kodak, never mind.

RBA (automation) doesn't interact with Preps in any way other than selecting existing Preps templates as far as In know. At least I haven't seen it do that if it can. Imposition automation is a real crap shoot and all of the planets and stars have to be aligned perfectly with the sun to cast a shadow in the shape of a giant K over Burnaby, BC for it to work properly.

Also I agree with Dan...Preps 5 was so much better to use for working with templates. I assume they changed it to its present Preps6/7 interface to make it JDF compliant with folding patterns. I have yet to use a folding pattern on a live job. It's like creating a complete new template from scratch every time you need to impose a job. And then the next time you need it you have to create it all from scratch again. Lather, rinse, repeat. :puke:

Mikie

Heck we still use 7 like we did 5, with the added .job bs lol. We save as template and then print the jtf and pdf file. Those files are what we use for automation(using prejobs) and really it's what all us old folks understand here :p 

"save and return to Prinergy?" Preps sucks as is, damn sure not letting Kodak push the buttons.

Joe

You're really not automating if you are manually imposing. :tongue:

Mikie

Farabomb

All this talk is making me happy about being in the dark ages of prinergy.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

jmaciag

We are going through Prinergy upgrade training. Our trainer has indicated that the ability to "Print" specific signature ranges out of Preps will return in Prinergy/Preps 7.5.  :banana:
He informed us that we are not the first to ask about it. As a matter of fact, in his last training session, someone asked the same question.
  :mademyday:
Mac OS 10.10.5 | Adobe CC 2015
Prinergy Connect 8 | Preps 8
Insite  Prepress Portal 8 | Screen 16000 VLF | Screen 36000ZX

Farabomb

With my history with Kodak I believe you accidentally added a decimal point to Preps 75.  :grin:
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Joe

Quote from: jmaciag on November 25, 2015, 01:12:38 PMWe are going through Prinergy upgrade training. Our trainer has indicated that the ability to "Print" specific signature ranges out of Preps will return in Prinergy/Preps 7.5.  :banana:
He informed us that we are not the first to ask about it. As a matter of fact, in his last training session, someone asked the same question.
  :mademyday:

I've heard a lot of promises from Kodak people about version 7.5. If they fix/add everything they say they will there will never be a need for another version after that. Keep dangling that carrot in front of us Kodak. You know we'll keep chasing it.