FAT32 and afp

Started by DigiCorn, March 02, 2012, 11:33:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DigiCorn

The boss brought in an old NAS drive to have me copy a bunch of stuff from his laptop to. I can't connect via afp - only smb. But there are fonts that aren't working in smb, since his laptop is Mac. I was going to reformat NTFS, but the manufacturer website says the NAS will only work FAT32. The manufacturer also says their NAS will work afp, but when I try to connect, I get the screenshot below. Any ideas how to connect afp? Is it an FAT32 thing - do I need NTFS?
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

Joe

Is AFP turned on in the NAS? What OS are you trying to connect from? Could be the old NAS has an incompatible version of AFP for the newer MAC OS.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

DigiCorn

I called the tech support line for the manufacturer. They said they have known afp issues, and directed me to their site for a firmware download and update. 230mb - geez. I'll install after lunch and see what happens.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

DigiCorn

Okay - this thread is a false alarm - Firmware update fixed it
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

― Ernest Hemingway

Ear

Quote from: DigiCorn on March 02, 2012, 02:30:24 PMOkay - this thread is a false alarm - Firmware update fixed it

So, does that mean we can discuss bacon instead?  :cheesy:
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

Duffy

Quote from: Earendil on March 02, 2012, 02:44:28 PM
Quote from: DigiCorn on March 02, 2012, 02:30:24 PMOkay - this thread is a false alarm - Firmware update fixed it

mmmm...bacon
Eyeballing shit is for titty-bars, NOT laying out files. DCS 7/12

delooch

DigiCorn

Quote from: Earendil on March 02, 2012, 02:44:28 PM

It wouldn't be a forum with a jacked thread if we didn't. In fact, it's an obligation. We owe it to ourselves to discus Bacon.

Francis Bacon, 1st Viscount St Alban(s),[1] KC (22 January 1561 – 9 April 1626) was an English philosopher, statesman, scientist, lawyer, jurist, author and pioneer of the scientific method. He served both as Attorney General and Lord Chancellor of England. Although his political career ended in disgrace, he remained extremely influential through his works, especially as philosophical advocate and practitioner of the scientific method during the scientific revolution.

just kidding

― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

― Ernest Hemingway

Ear

"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

David

Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

Duffy

Quote from: david on March 02, 2012, 03:23:15 PM
Quote from: delooch on March 02, 2012, 02:52:53 PMumm... what is afp?

spanish for bacon

This is the most spanish I have learned so far!

DigiCorn

spanish for bacon
If you're serious, afp is basically Apple File Protocol.
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

― Ernest Hemingway

Joe

Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Duffy

delooch

Quote from: DigiCorn on March 02, 2012, 03:25:43 PM

spanish for bacon
If you're serious, afp is basically Apple File Protocol.

remember, im the anti-apple graphic arts dude. im proudly ignorant when it comes to that stuff.

i refer to the $80 3gs i picked up a few weeks ago as "the crapple"