News:

Main Menu

New Gig

Started by almaink, July 26, 2016, 10:20:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

almaink

So After Alma Offset closed I was on unemployment for 4 months. It was a nice vacation but was looking like I would never find another job. By chance I saw a job listed on craigslist for a Production Assistant and figured I give it a shot. They sent me an email asking me to call the manager of the shop to set up an interview so I did. I've ben here 5 weeks now and it's nothing like prepress that's for sure. It's a repro shop that does digital B&W large and small format, color digital also large and small and online file storage using the Planwell system.  They hired me to learn everyones job so I can fill in if someone is sick or goes on vacation. So far so good although it's more hands on than prepress ever was. I rip, print and bind everything that comes in and some of these jobs are huge. The moneys the same as I was getting but the commute really sucks. It takes on average a 45 minutes to get home and I'm only going 12 miles. I just hope it lasts till I retire in 7 years. Not much time to post like my last job but I'll hand when I can. Just nice to be working again, as at 58 finding work isn't easy.
OS10.6.8  OS10.10.5
Windows 10
Cannon C6000
Oce TDS 860
Kodak Digimaster 9110
Don't Crush That Dwarf, Hand Me the Pliers

Farabomb

Glad you found a place. They are pretty few and far between, I've been looking.

That commute sucks. Jersey can be like that. I used to live in the metro area and have a 10 mile commute and at times, it could easily be over an hour. Now I have a 40+ mile commute and as long as someone doesn't bend metal on rt-23, I'm home in 45 minutes. Everyone asks how the hell can you drive that everyday? Then they come up to visit, have a beer and look at the lake and then they know why. I'll take bears over the metro area people any day.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Joe

Congrats on the job.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Slappy

Hey, work is work! I'd hate that drive too, but guess we do what we gotta to stay in these cushy dream jobs eh?
A little diddie 'bout black 'n cyan...two reflective colors doin' the best they can.

David

Congrats on the job!!  :banana:

yeah, it took me 4 months to get my new gig as well, my commute is about the same (maybe 5-10 minutes longer), and like you, at 61 it is hard, and you get the comment "overqualified" too much.

Sadly, most of the jobs are done online and you get no face time with the people that are doing the actual hiring. For me, I saw the ad for the place I am currently at, put in my app, then looked them up online and called them on the phone. The owner ended up talking to me for about an hour and basically hired me then. Went in 2 days later (actual face time!) then he made me an offer.
I've been here since June 28.
 :afro:
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

Tracy

Congrats Alma! Good to hear you guys getting jobs!

DigitalCrapShoveler

Glad it worked out, Alma. I've been out on the skids for a bit now myself. I've never NOT had a job and it's kind of scary and surreal. On the upside, it gives me some time to figure out what I want to do, regardless of the lack of work out there.

Good luck to you, sir.
Member #285 - Civilian

Possum

Good to know that at least a few places value experience over young and cheap and all the baggage that goes with that. Congrats to you, Alma.
Tall tree, short ropes, fix stupid.

almaink

Quote from: DigitalCrapShoveler on July 26, 2016, 01:18:58 PMGlad it worked out, Alma. I've been out on the skids for a bit now myself. I've never NOT had a job and it's kind of scary and surreal. On the upside, it gives me some time to figure out what I want to do, regardless of the lack of work out there.

Good luck to you, sir.
I got a lot done while I was unemployed around the house and I did a lot of fishing too.  But it's always in the back of your head will I ever find another job, and that part sucks. Good luck to you too.
OS10.6.8  OS10.10.5
Windows 10
Cannon C6000
Oce TDS 860
Kodak Digimaster 9110
Don't Crush That Dwarf, Hand Me the Pliers

DPSprint

Not that I know you.... but I am glad to hear you have found another job, sounds like it will even gives you new skills, and that can only ever be a good thing in a tight work market.
Not sure how I would cope with not having a job (timewise it would be awesome, moneywise it would be hell), been made redundant once and that was total shyte... but had another one within a week, albeit a shit one on shit pay, but it sufficed until I found a much better one.
Hope this place does the trick for the next 7 years!

DigitalCrapShoveler

Quote from: almaink on July 26, 2016, 03:03:35 PM
Quote from: DigitalCrapShoveler on July 26, 2016, 01:18:58 PMGlad it worked out, Alma. I've been out on the skids for a bit now myself. I've never NOT had a job and it's kind of scary and surreal. On the upside, it gives me some time to figure out what I want to do, regardless of the lack of work out there.

Good luck to you, sir.
I got a lot done while I was unemployed around the house and I did a lot of fishing too.  But it's always in the back of your head will I ever find another job, and that part sucks. Good luck to you too.

Thanks, brother. I know EXACTLY what you are saying. Good to hear from you, man.
Member #285 - Civilian

DigiCorn

Good luck to you, sir.
Ditto.

Congrats. Like DCS I was out of work for a while, mostly by choice, and it was life altering.

I tried and tried and tried, and called in every favor with everyone I know, but nothing worked out and I couldn't get hired doing anything else. I ended up back in printing, and while it can be stressful at times, it's actually the An American Beauty of printing; the least amount of responsibility I've ever had, which makes up for the stress of other things I have to deal with here. I think you'd all love my job, though, and you'd all be able to do it with ease.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

Possum

Sounds like you should franchise that place for us.
Tall tree, short ropes, fix stupid.

Fontaholic

Oddly enough, I just got a sort-of new job myself.

The printing company I'd been working at for 16 years, finally gave up the ghost and merged with another local printing company.

Fortunately, I was part of the merger along with the company's printing files and customer information.

Same rate of pay, same commute time, full-time hours for the first time in a couple years, much busier place!

Cheers,
John the Fontaholic

Farabomb

I'll see how good of a deal it is by my inbox.  ;D
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job