News:

Main Menu

Copying Jobs

Started by Holsinger60, January 27, 2015, 01:38:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Holsinger60

Question: Is there any way when you're copying a job in the XMF Client that it will copy all the source files and the folders and such from the Native File Management? How do other places using XMF handle reorders? I have to generate a new job # every time a job gets reordered at our shop.

I'm struggling trying to get this going..... :shoots_self:

Diddler

Quote from: Holsinger60 on January 27, 2015, 01:38:55 PMQuestion: Is there any way when you're copying a job in the XMF Client that it will copy all the source files and the folders and such from the Native File Management? How do other places using XMF handle reorders? I have to generate a new job # every time a job gets reordered at our shop.

I'm struggling trying to get this going..... :shoots_self:
Easy way to do it would be to archive the job and then call it back to a new job number or restore it to the original job ID.
You can't polish a Turd, but you can roll it in glitter!

frailer

Hmm... are you saying that you have jobs still in active queue, but it's a straight re-order, just needs a different job number?
In that inst. we'd replace job# in Management Info, and re-render so it appears on plate.
And if you know a job may well return as an unchanged re-lay, it'd be Archived anyway, right?
As Diddler points out, Archiving would be the only way to retain all job elements, I think.
Do you use the Archive facility? In these days of cheap storage, we'd die without it. Essential for us.. should have started using it earlier.
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

Diddler

There is another quick way without recalling a job from archive but you need to save "the set" in Job workflow manager of the previous job that you want to copy first (you only need to do this once). Then you can just add the new PDF to create a new job give it new job number then just "load set" back in. 
You can't polish a Turd, but you can roll it in glitter!

Holsinger60

Yes, we do have the Archive functionality and will be using it. My problem is we don't go by the Job ID#. We need to use the Job Name. When I go to restore an archive job, the only option it gives me is to bring it back with a new ID #. I need to restore it with a new Job Name. Renaming it in the Job Info works for the Job in the Client, but my Native File folder will still be under the old #. This will be just way too confusing for my crew. I guess I could rename the job manually in the Client and then rename the Native File Folder, but that just seems like more extra steps I'd like to avoid. Especially since that leaves a lot of room for mistakes to be made. Like renaming the wrong Native File Folder...which will happen.

nordeuk@hotmail.com

We use the archive and restore to do exactly this. Works well, and it makes no odds what the name of the native folder is. Easiest way to navigate to the native folder is to right click on the job in the XMF window, and select 'Open Work Folder'.

We did have a problem with some jobs not archiving/restoring fully.  Turned out the archive was intact, but the restore script needed 'tweaked' - again no biggy, Fuji sorted this for us, but we were able to go into the archive files and manually restore in the short term (they are just zip files!)

Tracy

My pdf name has the original file number on it, so when I rerun a 
job I update the job# but my pdf shows me where my original# is.
I also note it on my jacket, original# and updated#

Holsinger60

We've begun incorporating the Job ID# on the Specification Sheets along with our Job # (name). The source file PDF is the original # here as well which I didn't think of until reading this. So far, everyone seems to be doing alright with the process we have in place.