News:

Main Menu

Placing PDFs

Started by deedee, October 16, 2014, 10:35:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

deedee

I have to place a customer supplied pdf w over 1700 pages into Indesign. I have a script to do this quickly.  I have turned on all my "Arial" fonts, but I still get a PDF Placement Warning that "The following fonts aren't currently available: Arial". Sent a test to the digital press they will be printed on, and it looked fine. I have been looking, but can't find a free Arial ttf download that I don't have to register on their site, which I don't really want to do. Is there a way to turn off this warning so that I don't have to hit OK for every page it imports?

Joe

Try copying the Arial font into the Document Fonts folder where the ID document resides and re-starting InDesign. If that doesn't work try copying it to the Mac HD/Users/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Fonts folder and re-starting InDesign. If you are Windows I am not sure where the latter fonts folder is at.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

DigitalCrapShoveler

My question would be, why do you have to place the PDFs in InDesign?
Member #285 - Civilian

David

Quote from: DigitalCrapShoveler on October 16, 2014, 11:04:16 AMMy question would be, why do you have to place the PDFs in InDesign?

because we always do it that way?   snickersnicker
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

DigitalCrapShoveler

If there is a valid reason, I understand... but I would like to know what that reason is.
Member #285 - Civilian

Ear

Quote from: DigitalCrapShoveler on October 16, 2014, 11:37:11 AMIf there is a valid reason, I understand... but I would like to know what that reason is.
Seconded. The workflow should negate the need for such additional steps.
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

DigitalCrapShoveler

I had a 1284 page 8.5 x 11 PDF, in 75 sections, that needed to be resized to 6 x 9, converted to black and all the fonts embedded. No way I'm placing 1284 pages in InDesign. There are reasons, but they have to be REALLY good.
Member #285 - Civilian

deedee

The font is Arial TrueType, which I don't have and can't find. I have Arial Bold, Bold Italic, and Italic TrueType fonts, and can also find them online, but not just plain Arial.

The reason I have to put them in Indesign is to send 2 up to the digital printer.

deedee

So what I really wanna know is, can I just turn off the PDF warning somehow? It'll be a piece of cake if I can do that, 'cause I have a script to place the pdfs.

DigitalCrapShoveler

What Arial are you missing? What font foundry, version? What EXACTLY is the name it is calling for?
Member #285 - Civilian

Joe

I don't think you can turn the warning off. Lord knows all my customers would if they could. But here is an Arial True Type font.

http://www.test.b4print.com/downloads/Arial.zip
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Ear

Turning off the warning will just send your digital resource a PDF without properly embedded fonts.

My workflow will embed standard windows fonts, like TT Arial. I would use the workflow to impose the job for digital and add a PDF export stage, like a proof stage, but have it export to a static folder, instead of the proofer hot folder. This is how I now do my impositions for digital outsource, instead of using InDesign for imposition. Saves a ton of time and hassle.
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

Farabomb

It is possible that indy is the workflow. Sadly it's not the first time I've seen it done.

"but we've always done it this way"

Hopefully Joe's font will work for you.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         â€”Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Ear

Quote from: Farabomb on October 16, 2014, 01:07:30 PMIt is possible that indy is the workflow. Sadly it's not the first time I've seen it done.

"but we've always done it this way"

Hopefully Joe's font will work for you.
Then there's that...

Made in Taiwan

I know some small print shops do pretty much all of their imposition in Indesign. There are scripts for placing PDFs 2 up, saddle stitching and whatever. For some really small shops it might work well. Workflow might be a nice thing, but costs a nice money, too.
Working in Prepress is very difficult. God chose only the best to do this job.