DS Store file - pain in the butt

Started by andyfest, February 01, 2016, 10:08:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

andyfest

So I've mentioned before that I started experiencing problems copying large folders to and from our Mac XServe about 3 months ago. Usually it's folders that contain >1gb of files. Part way thru the copy, it will stop and give me the message in the screenshot I've attached. That ends the copy, and I usually have to finish by copying the info folder by folder until the master folder has been completely copied. It was suggested before that it might be a permissions problem, so I have tried repairing permissions on both the server and any Macs connected to it, with no real change to speak of. Any other ideas out there?
Retired - CS6 on my 2012 gen MacBook Pro

Joe

Do a get info on the drive you are trying to copy to. You might need to do this on the Xserve. Check this box.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

andyfest

andyfest

That's seems to have fixed the issue with my test transfer. You are the man Joe!  :cheesy:

David

Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

andyfest

My joy was short-lived. The next 1.3 gB folder gave me the DS Store warning. Anything else I can try?

Joe

It seems this is a widespread problem a lot of users are experiencing. There are fixes if you don't mind copying the files vial terminal.

We don't run into the issue copying to our NAS drives (Linux) or our Windows shares. It happily overwrites the old .DS_Store files on those. It seems to only be a problem going Mac to Mac.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

David

I was reading up on this and saw that if you change the connection to the external hardrive to AFP instead of SMB it would let them copy and overwrite.

I have not tried this but thought it might be worth a shot.   YMMV
Livin' la Vida Loca

andyfest

andyfest

Is there a widget that allows you to see hidden files like DS Store? That way I could delete them before the copy.

David

Livin' la Vida Loca

andyfest

Thanks David. I downloaded a small app that probably does the same thing in a wrapper -  InvisibliX. With a click I can see all hidden files in the Finder and then hide them off again if I want. I was able to delete the .DS Store files from the individual "inner" folders this way and copy the whole master folder to the server without a problem this time. It's just a wee bit frustrating because it only started happening 3 months ago. Before that we had no issues.

DigiCorn

Somewhere on this board there's a dialogue about how to remove the .DS from a Windows server, and how to make your Mac stop writing them. I was looking for it the other day, too.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway