Web Site Redirect

Started by David, January 11, 2012, 11:51:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

David

here goes, I can't find a definitive answer anywhere, so you guys get it.
yeah I know, you're like a step child...  maybe with red hair, possibly left handed

If I want to redirect a web site I've done (for instance: using the url "www.mynewsite.com" to go to the real url: "http://www.asdasdasdasdasd/aaasdasdaa/fghgfghfg/login.aspx")
Do I:
1. Just make up a new url, or
2. Purchase a domain name and just not use a host since it will only be used for a redirect to an existing web site?

newbie here looking for an easy way
TIA,
David
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

delooch

Quote from: david on January 11, 2012, 11:51:04 AMhere goes, I can't find a definitive answer anywhere, so you guys get it.
yeah I know, you're like a step child...  maybe with red hair, possibly left handed

If I want to redirect a web site I've done (for instance: using the url "www.mynewsite.com" to go to the real url: "http://www.asdasdasdasdasd/aaasdasdaa/fghgfghfg/login.aspx")
Do I:
1. Just make up a new url, or
2. Purchase a domain name and just not use a host since it will only be used for a redirect to an existing web site?

newbie here looking for an easy way
TIA,
David

depending on who you purchased the domain name from, or whoever is currently hosting it, you maybe able to setup a redirect or forward...  at least thats how ive been doing it. my host (domainmonger.com) lets you set that up and mail forwarding through a control panel app... so i can point www.mydomain.com to whatever real URL i want..

DigiCorn

I know we did it like #2. We bought mutiple (a couple dozen, I htink) domain names from godaddy and then have them forward toward our site. Then we listed all the "phony" domain names on google to point to us.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

gnubler

What he said. Login to your domain registrar and check it out.
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

Joe

As delooch mentioned, you hosting control panel might have the easy way to forward one url to the other. You have to own both domain names. If your hosting company doesn't have that option you can do it using a .htaccess file.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Farabomb

I know Joe hates Go daddy with a passion we all now have a reason to hate them. The bastards suppourt internet censoring.

Might want to read up on SOPA while we still can. Freedoms are real hard to get back.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

gnubler

I heard about that last week. Can't click on linky but I think they lost thousands of customers, mass exodus.
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

Joe

Quote from: gnubler on January 11, 2012, 12:15:24 PMI heard about that last week. Can't click on linky but I think they lost thousands of customers, mass exodus.

I only wish I was still there so I could leave again! :death:

David

This is actually for my FTP server.
We use Ipswitch's WS_FTP Server Corporate with the Web Transfer Module (new purchase).
I've got the Web transfer module set and it works like a champ, but the URL is very long and I don't want to send it out as a useable link until I get the redirect sorted out.

The redirect is done through  IIS (I have V6). Supposedly all I need to do is make a txt file with the redirect response, put that in the directory and then set the web site contents to redirect to a new name.

But, I think Joe answered the question, I need to own a second domain name for the redirect, I can't just make up a name and have it work.

correct?    :hangme:
Livin' la Vida Loca

DigiCorn

"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

David

cool beans, now all I have to do is have a meeting where all the upstairs people think of the best name for a stupid ftp site. Maybe be done in a year...

:drunk3:
Livin' la Vida Loca

Joe

Quote from: david on January 11, 2012, 12:23:35 PMcool beans, now all I have to do is have a meeting where all the upstairs people think of the best name for a stupid ftp site. Maybe be done in a year...

:drunk3:

Actually you could just create a sub-domain (FREE) like ftp.mydomain.com and then re-direct ftp.mydomain.com to www.loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooongassurl.com.

gnubler

You can with .htaccess

I have all my domains forward to google.com. That's where everything is anyway...

Joe

I just tried a test of the sub-domain idea. I created a sub-domain at http://redirect.b4print.com and set it to redirect to https://www.b4print.com. The text in the .htaccess file is:

RewriteEngine on
RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} ^redirect\.b4print\.com$ [OR]
RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} ^www\.redirect\.b4print\.com$
RewriteRule ^/?$ "http\:\/\/www\.b4print\.com" [R=301,L]

.htaccess files are used on Apache servers. I'm not sure if IIS servers use them or something different. I avoid Windows web servers if at all possible.

David

ah, no .htaccess files on the box. Did a search for invisibles and nada.

looks like it's IIS or not at all.
I think I have it figured out, I'll be testing tomorrow.

cross your fingers, and if you can't connect to the internet tomorrow, I didn't do it.     :tapedshut:
Livin' la Vida Loca