HELP PLEASE URGENT!

Started by pspdfppdfxhd, October 15, 2011, 10:46:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pspdfppdfxhd

we get one job all the time.... 8.5x11 2 sided with bleeds setup as facing pages. Artist must be an "idiot-savant" without the "savant" part. She cant' figure out why I have to separate the pages and add the bleeds on the sides that were butted together. I give up. I live with it.

NefariousDrO

I still say what we need is a really scary old nun who goes around and cracks a ruler across the idiots who do that kind of crap. Pain can be a powerful motivator, just ask Darth Vader!

DigitalCrapShoveler

Quote from: NefariousDrO on October 18, 2011, 11:48:38 AMI still say what we need is a really scary old nun who goes around and cracks a ruler across the idiots who do that kind of crap. Pain can be a powerful motivator, just ask Darth Vader!

There is someone.... YOU!

The SalesPuke, the CSR, even your boss could care less about the shit we have to endure. If you want it to stop... start getting involved with your customers, start teaching, or quit, because NO ONE CARES or will ever care.
Member #285 - Civilian

tapdn

Educate customers??? Tried that once. The response was "Well, we use Publisher for everything here" click.  :laugh:
usually fried mate - sometimes pickled - often scrambled - never beaten
~ Sir B. Monsteaure
No, he's well within his rights to diss cake. Pie, on the other hand, is waaaayyyy off limits.
~Youston
I'm just a stupid printer WTF do I know
~Farabomb

Joe

Quote from: DigitalCrapShoveler on October 18, 2011, 11:57:53 AM
Quote from: NefariousDrO on October 18, 2011, 11:48:38 AMI still say what we need is a really scary old nun who goes around and cracks a ruler across the idiots who do that kind of crap. Pain can be a powerful motivator, just ask Darth Vader!

The SalesPuke, the CSR, even your boss could care less about the shit we have to endure. If you want it to stop... start getting involved with your customers, start teaching, or quit, because NO ONE CARES or will ever care.

While this is true, the only way to make it change is if the customer gets hit in the wallet and for that you need the cooperation of the above. The customers are not willing to learn the correct procedures as long as their job is getting out correctly, on time, and for the quoted price. I'm afraid we are our own worst enemy when we fix their garbage.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

gnubler

Quote from: tapdn on October 18, 2011, 12:03:37 PMEducate customers??? Tried that once. The response was "Well, we use Publisher for everything here" click.  :laugh:

I tried it more than once. Maybe 3 times. Then I gave up after I realized their stupidity was my job security.
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

DigitalCrapShoveler

Quote from: tapdn on October 18, 2011, 12:03:37 PMEducate customers??? Tried that once. The response was "Well, we use Publisher for everything here" click.  :laugh:

No one said anything about educating customers. That would be a lesson in futility. Established customers are already set in their ways, and most likely probably think they know more than you anyway. The teaching comment was more to shape the PRE-CUSTOMERS for the future. What I am saying is, if you want your job to be easier.... scratch that, you want your job to be LESS stressful -  YOU are going to have to get the ball rolling. YOU are going to have to put pressure on your boss, or CSR or SalesPuke to ask the right questions. YOU are the only one that will help YOU. Prepress has long been the bastard step-child of printing. We didn't get any help back in the day, we sure the hell ain't gonna get it from these knucklehead kids that think they know what their doing, being churned out of these colleges, trade-schools and universities like Dave slanging margaritas on Cinco De Mayo.
Member #285 - Civilian

DigitalCrapShoveler

Quote from: Joe on October 18, 2011, 12:28:06 PM
Quote from: DigitalCrapShoveler on October 18, 2011, 11:57:53 AM

While this is true, the only way to make it change is if the customer gets hit in the wallet and for that you need the cooperation of the above. The customers are not willing to learn the correct procedures as long as their job is getting out correctly, on time, and for the quoted price. I'm afraid we are our own worst enemy when we fix their garbage.

The wallet concept doesn't work. I have been trying to do EXACTLY that for the last 6 months. They don't even bat an eyelash.... even when I tell them. The only thing that works... treat them like a fucking child. Hold their hand, whisper sweet nothings in their ears and finger-fuck their job all the way through production. All the while keeping them totally informed of everything. Basically, become their ambassador to the printing world. Become the SalesPuke, the CSR and the Boss.

Now, look at your paycheck... is it really worth it?
Member #285 - Civilian

Joe

I can't really say if hitting them in the wallet works because we never charge them extra to find out. In theory it would work if the higher ups would follow through...at least with my customers...whom are tighter than bark on a tree.

DigitalCrapShoveler

Quote from: Joe on October 18, 2011, 01:14:09 PMI can't really say if hitting them in the wallet works because we never charge them extra to find out. In theory it would work if the higher ups would follow through...at least with my customers...whom are tighter than bark on a tree.

It doesn't work. The guy handling production on a job, gets the money from a guy that has no clue what anything costs, or could care less, that is more concerned about his golf handicap then actually saving his company money. I give up. I'm not doing all that shit I said above. Not for the money I make.
Member #285 - Civilian

Joe

My customers know every cent of the quote and complain if they are charged an extra 25 cents on a job. Rather than listen to the complaints they only charge them the quoted priced no matter what kind of hoops we have to jump through. I can count on one hand the number of times we have charged a customer extra and stuck to it over the last 10 years.

DigitalCrapShoveler

Quote from: Joe on October 18, 2011, 01:26:33 PMMy customers know every cent of the quote and complain if they are charged an extra 25 cents on a job. Rather than listen to the complaints they only charge them the quoted priced no matter what kind of hoops we have to jump through. I can count on one hand the number of times we have charged a customer extra and stuck to it over the last 10 years.

I have worked for companies like this. No matter the additional costs, the original quote is honored? Yeah, it's a wonder any of us are still in business.

Go to an Auto Mechanic and tell him the additional motor he had to put in your car to make it run won't be paid for because it was not on the original quote.
Member #285 - Civilian

Farabomb

Quote from: DigitalCrapShoveler on October 18, 2011, 01:31:48 PM
Quote from: Joe on October 18, 2011, 01:26:33 PMMy customers know every cent of the quote and complain if they are charged an extra 25 cents on a job. Rather than listen to the complaints they only charge them the quoted priced no matter what kind of hoops we have to jump through. I can count on one hand the number of times we have charged a customer extra and stuck to it over the last 10 years.

Go to an Auto Mechanic and tell him the additional motor he had to put in your car to make it run won't be paid for because it was not on the original quote.

Some of the customers I have at the car shop do shit like that all the time. We tell them what they need, say they have it and then we find out when the car is half apart that they decided it was too expensive. Now we can't finish the car and it takes up lot space until they buy the part they need.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Joe

Quote from: DigitalCrapShoveler on October 18, 2011, 01:31:48 PM

I have worked for companies like this. No matter the additional costs, the original quote is honored? Yeah, it's a wonder any of us are still in business.

It just goes to show you how different printing is...and strange.

DigitalCrapShoveler

And yet here we are. Masochists or idiots, a fine line.
Member #285 - Civilian