Auto Numbering Software

Started by Syphon, September 30, 2014, 02:17:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syphon

I need some input friends. My fellow prepress coworker is leaving for a better job/pay ($18/hour, his own office, etc.) end of this week and of course EVERYTHING is coming down on me. One of the things that was his job was auto numbering invoices and we use Auto Numbering (http://auto-number.com). He went over it with me and it is a little over my head, and it requires us to trick the software to get what we want like numbering one side of a invoice that prints two sided. Another one problem is that you can not print the invoice number sideways. 

So, I need some recommendations of other alternatives software or plugins for Acrobat or InDesign for management to look over. I know some of the simple invoices can easily be done in InDesign using the master page/auto page numbering features.
Freelance Designer | Illustrator | Photo Editor
iMac • Mac OSX 10.15 Catalina
Affinity Publisher • Affinity Photo • Affinity Designer
Adobe InDesign • Adobe Photoshop • Adobe Illustrator
Adobe Acrobat

DCurry

The Master Pages with Auto Numbering is a good idea; you can also use the Data Merge feature. If numbering is really the only type of variable data you produce, any plugins are probably overkill.

Also, you are underpaid. Your coworker with the new job is also underpaid at the new place, too.
Prinect • Signa Station • XMPie

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night. But set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Joe

I'm a big fan of using a database for stuff like invoices. Auto increment is stupid simple but you do need to know how to use a database. The easiest to learn is FileMaker Pro.

Agree with the others too. You are being vastly underpaid. I was making $15 an hour in 1984.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

fernandofreitaspt

Quote from: Syphon on September 30, 2014, 02:17:10 PMI need some input friends. My fellow prepress coworker is leaving for a better job/pay ($18/hour, his own office, etc.) end of this week and of course EVERYTHING is coming down on me. One of the things that was his job was auto numbering invoices and we use Auto Numbering (http://auto-number.com). He went over it with me and it is a little over my head, and it requires us to trick the software to get what we want like numbering one side of a invoice that prints two sided. Another one problem is that you can not print the invoice number sideways.

So, I need some recommendations of other alternatives software or plugins for Acrobat or InDesign for management to look over. I know some of the simple invoices can easily be done in InDesign using the master page/auto page numbering features.

You can use  InDesign to automate the process... it is quite simple... but you'll have to dig first on google to learn how to do it! The first time will be tricker but is very useful for variable data! thought [at least I reply the question]

Made in Taiwan

My first thought would be InDesign. Normal numbering can be done on the master page, if you need to put more things like addresses and so on, use the data merge function in combination with a .csv spreadsheet.
Working in Prepress is very difficult. God chose only the best to do this job.

DigiCorn

:ontopic: I use both Fusion pro or Quite Imposing for numbering, but in the past I did it in InDesign.

All prepress are underpaid. When you think about what Dezigners make, it's a totally fubar'd situation.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

Designia(o_O)

You can go to this website and generate a .txt file or sequential numbers. Add prefixes of suffixes and I think you can set it up for a multiple file date merge. (the "pad" option) Not sure.
http://textmechanic.com/Generate-List-of-Numbers.html

You need to save the .txt file as a .csv file and then do a date merge in InDesign.
I might have a better site bookmarked at home, I'll check.

Designia(o_O)