InDesign Tips-N-Tricks

Started by Sparky, November 21, 2007, 08:51:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DigitalCrapShoveler

I agree, very handy. What I wish it would do, was map process colors to spots. Like say when a customer supplies a black only file in InDesign and wants it converted to a spot. It's an easy enough fix in Pitstop, but I'd rather just click a button before output. My Pressman here are a stickler for proper color names on the plates and play the game of actually printing black just to make a point. In addition, the customer more times than not, wants to see a color proof in the spot it's supposed to be printed in.
Member #285 - Civilian

frailer

Pasted here, in light of these lobbing  on people lately.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

TIP: Export Images from Word Files Did you know that Word's DOCX file format is a glorified ZIP file? Change the extension to ZIP, unzip it, and you'll find all of the document's original assets, including the images as individual files in a folder. More importantly, InDesign can access the original high-resolution images when you place a DOCX file, even if they're CMYK. The older DOC format converts all images to RGB PNG files.
- Bob Levine

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

DigitalCrapShoveler

Quote from: frailer on November 04, 2010, 05:18:14 PMPasted here, in light of these lobbing  on people lately.

TIP: Export Images from Word Files Did you know that Word's DOCX file format is a glorified ZIP file? Change the extension to ZIP, unzip it, and you'll find all of the document's original assets, including the images as individual files in a folder. More importantly, InDesign can access the original high-resolution images when you place a DOCX file, even if they're CMYK. The older DOC format converts all images to RGB PNG files.
- Bob Levine

Whoa.
Member #285 - Civilian

Joe

Quote from: frailer on November 04, 2010, 05:18:14 PMPasted here, in light of these lobbing  on people lately.

- Bob Levine

I'd be shocked to find high res CMYK files done by one of my Word customers. :laugh:

Great tip though.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

gnubler

I was under the assumption that most graphics in Word were just copy/pasted from a web browser. :laugh:

Where exactly are these original high-res images? I'm pretty sure they don't exist.
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

frailer

Well, maybe you'll trip over some medium resolution images in a docx file one day. Maybe they'll be good enough for you.   :grin:
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman

gnubler

You're nothin' but a dreamer, Frailer.
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

frailer

Quote from: gnubler on November 04, 2010, 10:16:36 PMYou're nothin' but a dreamer, Frailer.

An often self-confessed one...    :laugh:

David

Quote from: Joe on November 04, 2010, 05:34:36 PM

- Bob Levine

I'd be shocked to find high res CMYK files done by one of my Word customers. :laugh:

Great tip though.

scary, but I'm up to checking one out , just to see how wrong they can be.
but, then again, you never know.

Oh, that reminds me, I got a new copy of Office 2011 for Mac yesterday.
you jealous?
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

Farabomb

Spent 3 hours with a client designing a adbook yesterday. 45 minutes of that was explaining the 2x3 72dpi image they want to use on the cover is not a good idea. Sorry to say in order to advance to another topic not involving alchemy I told him I would "photoshop it".  :death:
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

gnubler

Quote from: david on November 05, 2010, 07:15:18 AMOh, that reminds me, I got a new copy of Office 2011 for Mac yesterday.
you jealous?

No. I leave Office where it belongs - on the PC. Word to PDF, that's all I do.

David

Quote from: gnubler on November 05, 2010, 08:28:42 AM
Quote from: david on November 05, 2010, 07:15:18 AMOh, that reminds me, I got a new copy of Office 2011 for Mac yesterday.
you jealous?

yeah, but this new version will cook Bacon!
Which new studies have shown will make you smarter.

it was my idea, well not really, but I play one on TV.
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

DigitalCrapShoveler

Quote from: gnubler on November 05, 2010, 08:28:42 AM
you jealous?

I have Word on Mac... 2010. It works, and it's one more app that keeps me off a PC. For that I am grateful.
Member #285 - Civilian

gnubler

You can have Word and bacon. I avoid both at all costs.

Farabomb

You're anti bacon? You really are an alien. Everything is better with bacon.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job