Puzzleflow - anyone ever use it?

Started by PrepressCrapFixer, January 26, 2015, 04:49:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PrepressCrapFixer

Okay, long story short, I am abandoning a company that I have been with for 20 years to start a whole new job.   I was put into a very awkward position where I had to decide if I wanted to continue to "carry" this company any longer.  All done and ready for some change, I am on my last week of work and start a new job next Monday.  The new job uses Puzzleflow, which I have heard of, but have no knowledge about how it works.  Anybody else use it?  
macOSX 12.7 Monterey • Prinergy 10 • Adobe Creative Cloud 2022 • Q800 Trendsetter w/ MCU • Epson Sure Color P7000

Joe

Quote from: PrepressCrapFixer on January 26, 2015, 04:49:29 PMOkay, long story short, I am abandoning a company that I have been with for 20 years to start a whole new job.  I was put into a very awkward position where I had to decide if I wanted to continue to "carry" this company any longer.  All done and ready for some change, I am on my last week of work and start a new job next Monday.  The new job uses Puzzleflow, which I have heard of, but have no knowledge about how it works.  Anybody else use it?

Haven't heard of it but good luck PCF.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

mattbeals

Primarily found in newspapers and general use in Europe. Supposed to be good stuff. I've seen it, but as a Switch reseller they thought it was too close of a competitive product. Puzzleflow has its own RIP, color management, etc. I'd never say anything bad about it. But I don't have any experience directly with it to say anything good or bad. I'll put it like this; I've never seen or heard of anyone complaining.
Matt Beals

Everything I say is my own personal opinion and has nothing to do with my employer or their views.

frailer

If it's used in Europe, as Matt says, I'd PM abc. A bit of a liberty, but he likes us here, and we're generally nice to him.   :smiley:
Would say it was his job to know the market, and as it's Europe...
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

abc

From Poland, don't see much of it but I have some ex-colleagues who work for them.
Main user base in Eastern Europe, also getting established in the US market with smaller newspapers.
It's modular with lot's of different tools, I think they make everything themselves including trapping/rip etc
Not really heard any feedback on their solutions, but they have been around a while.

PrepressCrapFixer

Thanks Joe.

Yep, it seems like there aren't many US companies using it.  I should be able to addapt to the modular approach of the workflow as most of what I have worked on in the past has been a cobbled mess of crap that needed to assembled and printed.  Such is life.....
macOSX 12.7 Monterey • Prinergy 10 • Adobe Creative Cloud 2022 • Q800 Trendsetter w/ MCU • Epson Sure Color P7000

Farabomb

Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Joe

Looks pretty thorough but...I would hesitate on any workflow that does not use APPE and I don't see it mentioned there.

David

Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

Farabomb

I asked the guy 5 times if it was a PDF rip and all he came back with is "it takes PDFs". Yes, that's all well and good but is it a PDF rip?

He was talking about how cheap it is but cheap don't mean shit if it doesn't render correctly.

Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

DCurry

Never had any dealings with their software, but I can vouch for EZ Hi-tech in general - they used to service all the Scitex equipment at my old shop. Nice guys and always very responsive.
Prinect • Signa Station • XMPie

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night. But set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Joe

Quote from: Farabomb on January 28, 2015, 01:25:09 PMI asked the guy 5 times if it was a PDF rip and all he came back with is "it takes PDFs". Yes, that's all well and good but is it a PDF rip?

He was talking about how cheap it is but cheap don't mean shit if it doesn't render correctly.

Well it does say it is a PDF workflow as shown here:

[attachimg=1 width=400]

But it appears they have rolled their own PDF RIP instead of licensing Adobe's. Good if it works. Bad if it doesn't. They do have a Full Featured 3-Month Trial though.

PrepressCrapFixer

I'll have to show this one to my current employer, they're always looking for a way to save a buck.  

swampymarsh

http://www.foundereagle.com

AFAIK modern China is not famous for innovation, but very good at "copying". This of course has nothing to do with whether they make a good or bad product or whether they have innovated or not. They appear to have a solid background in a large "internal" market and are now marketing globally through resellers.

I think that you would need to be very confident in your local reseller/supplier/support, however they may have great English or other language support from China.

http://whattheythink.com/articles/59146-drupa-2012-inkjet-drupaagain-closer-look-founder-electronics/

Farabomb

Quote from: DCurry on January 28, 2015, 01:48:59 PMNever had any dealings with their software, but I can vouch for EZ Hi-tech in general - they used to service all the Scitex equipment at my old shop. Nice guys and always very responsive.

Yup, they are local to us and I know a bunch of shops that use them. I've only heard good things and haven't had any issues personally so far.

I had them in today to get us sorted with the new AFGA plates but he was a little lost when he saw my archaic CAT88. Between him and I we seem to have things sorted. Will find out tomorrow.

I know a shop that is running that RIP, maybe I'll visit them with some of my more troublesome files and see how it handles them.

—Benjamin Franklin

My other job