now ya see me - now ya dont

Started by beermonster, November 21, 2014, 01:27:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

beermonster

:banghead:

our jobs are listed first by customer folder, and then inside this in seperate folders the individual jobs/ranges

connectivity is smb

TWO folders are posessed

they disappear right in front of you - then a few seconds later come back. the I.T. fellaz are reluctant to touch anything "mac" - so it pissed them off when I pointed out the folders were on their servers and not our macs

its a bit more stable if you go file>open and navigate there, but it still disappears. when i say disappears - i mean just that. it vanishes from the customer list :drunk3:

so - any ideas?
Leave me here in my - stark raving sick sad little world

Joe

Yeah I used to see this a lot on older OS's. What are you running on the Windows server and the Mac as far as OS versions?
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

StudioMonkey

I've seen this happen with a Windoze NT box on a mixed network with Macs.  Yeah, a long time ago.  IIRC a screen refresh in the Finder will make the missing items reappear.
Time flies like an arrow - fruit flies like a banana

Joe

I remember something too about moving all items into a different folder and then back into the original too.

Slappy

Happens to us here too, all the Macs are on 10.7.5 and the server is some Windoze box that Heidelberg installed. It seems to  happen most with client folders that are too "full" and we'll just start a new sub-folder most times. I get one every so often that "bounces" too when it's in the 3-pane view. Weird.
A little diddie 'bout black 'n cyan...two reflective colors doin' the best they can.

Joe

Is that box Windows 2000 server? I seem to think it had to do with the older SMB on Windows 2000 server.

Grimace

I have had issues with permissions and folder creating. I'm absolutely clueless about the server, we got a guy. But a while ago we updated the servers and any folder that i created on my machine then dragged and dropped onto the server, all kinds of weirdness, like folks not being able to see the folder or the files inside or the updates to the same file. If I created the folder within the server originally, no issue.

oh, yeah, we had troubles naming a folder then it going back to original name.

Anyway, not sure if this was of any help.

beermonster

well mac wise a couple of the desighners are running yosemite, the other mavericks. we are one OS behind so it doeant screw out esko stuff up

the folder itself now sits on a NAS drive raid system - however this was originally created on a windowz heap - which flavour I dont know.

they recently installed the nas raid system and copied all data from the old heap - so its surprising this "feature" has accompanied it

we also have issues deleting and renaming files sometimes - I.T. scratch their heads and as fast as they can mention knowing nothing about macs - which is fcuking ignorant and irrelevant since all repro work is done across the pipes to their boxes

frusrating to say the least

Joe

What kind of NAS is it? We use a Netgear ReadyNAS Pro that the drives use the proprietary Netgear X-Raid or something like that. Not seeing that kind of issue using OS X 10.8, 10.9, or 10.10 via SMB. I know that isn't really helpful but it could be that NAS has an old version of SMB.

Slappy

Quote from: Joe on November 21, 2014, 12:02:31 PMIs that box Windows 2000 server? I seem to think it had to do with the older SMB on Windows 2000 server.
I believe it's now a newer Windows Server ver since we updated to the latest Prinect structure but I'll have to check later.

We also frequently have issues renaming or deleting Folders due to Permissions Authentication/ If I create a job folder, place files in it & want to rename or trash that main folder, often times I can't and neither can anybody else. Real pain in the ass when you make one with the wrong job number or description and can't change it/
A little diddie 'bout black 'n cyan...two reflective colors doin' the best they can.

beermonster

i donno what the nas drive set up is sadly - and since this was happening on the old system i kinda dont think its the nas - i'm gonna start rebuilding a new folder, dragone project over at a time to find, if anything, the offending files/jobs

slappy - oh man we have EXACTLY the same thing. and uutomation engine wont work if theres bad carachters in the folder name - so ya make another one - and cant delete the first one! grrrrr

Joe

Quote from: beermonster on November 23, 2014, 02:30:36 AMi donno what the nas drive set up is sadly - and since this was happening on the old system i kinda dont think its the nas - i'm gonna start rebuilding a new folder, dragone project over at a time to find, if anything, the offending files/jobs

slappy - oh man we have EXACTLY the same thing. and uutomation engine wont work if theres bad carachters in the folder name - so ya make another one - and cant delete the first one! grrrrr

This part of it definitely looks like they have not given the users permissions to do certain tasks...like rename and delete. You would have to get into the admin settings of the NAS to change that.

Same for your issue Slappy only on the Windows server.

In both cases you can only do what they (IT) allow you to do.

As far as the TWO disappearing folders I would try creating two new folders and copying the contents of the other two into the new folders and then deleting the two original offending folders. If you can that is.

Both issues are most likely related to file/folder permissions issues. And when they were copied from the old server to the new server it kept the old permissions. The owner of the files was probably the admin account on the old windows server and it could be confusing the new NAS since the old owner doesn't exist on the new NAS. They really should go back into the NAS admin panel and  1) change the user permissions so all of the users have permissions to do what you need to do and 2) apply new permissions to all folders and files contained throughout the folder hierarchy of the entire drive.

Slappy

Quote from: Joe on November 23, 2014, 08:51:33 AM
Quote from: beermonster on November 23, 2014, 02:30:36 AMi donno what the nas drive set up is sadly - and since this was happening on the old system i kinda dont think its the nas - i'm gonna start rebuilding a new folder, dragone project over at a time to find, if anything, the offending files/jobs

I'd believe that except - MOST of the time we can rename, move, delete files & folders. It's only occasionally that it's fubar. Meh, I don't really care much, was just saying we get it too.

Joe

Quote from: Slappy on November 24, 2014, 05:05:37 PM
Quote from: Joe on November 23, 2014, 08:51:33 AM

I'd believe that except - MOST of the time we can rename, move, delete files & folders. It's only occasionally that it's fubar. Meh, I don't really care much, was just saying we get it too.

Do you all login with the same user name and password to the server? If not you can have trouble using files that were put there or modified by a different user. We finally just created a "prepress" account on our server and make everyone log in with the same user account to avoid things like that from happening.