Packaging Images Scaled to size

Started by DHG, March 18, 2012, 10:03:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DHG

Hi All- Not sure if this is a question better suited for the Photoshop forum or not, but the original files are InDesign docs, so here goes.....

I have a rather large book with hundreds of images throughout. My customer needs to have all the Photoshop images scaled to the exact size that they are placed at in Indesign. Apparently they need this for their archiving purposes. My question is, is there any kind of script or trick that I can accomplish what I need to without seeing what size the image is scaled to in InDesign, then opening in Photoshop, scaling and resaving? If it was just a few images, I wouldn't care, but for this project, there are hundreds of images and would be extremely time consuming to do it that way.

Any help with this is much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Joe

Nothing that I know of offhand. If they all need scaled the same amount (highly unlikely) you could setup a Photoshop batch to do it.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

delooch

an "unconventional" option:

export the InD file to a PDF, then open the PDF in Acrobat, there is an "Export all images" command, it will ask for a an output folder and dump everything in there at the placed size and resolution (depending on the PDF output profile) - i tested this at home from Acro 7, it only lets me save as jpg, tiff, or png - newer versions might have more optoins, if not, its simple enough to do a batch convert in PS to get them back to PSD's..

...and the output file names are going to be sequential, thats going to be a PITA to fix..

its not ideal, but may be enough to get what you need done.

DHG

Quote from: Joe on March 18, 2012, 10:50:02 AMNothing that I know of offhand. If they all need scaled the same amount (highly unlikely) you could setup a Photoshop batch to do it.

The sizes will be all over the place so a batch is not an option.

DHG

Quote from: delooch on March 18, 2012, 02:44:13 PMan "unconventional" option:

export the InD file to a PDF, then open the PDF in Acrobat, there is an "Export all images" command, it will ask for a an output folder and dump everything in there at the placed size and resolution (depending on the PDF output profile) - i tested this at home from Acro 7, it only lets me save as jpg, tiff, or png - newer versions might have more optoins, if not, its simple enough to do a batch convert in PS to get them back to PSD's..

...and the output file names are going to be sequential, thats going to be a PITA to fix..

its not ideal, but may be enough to get what you need done.

I thought about that, but like you said, fixing the names will be a huge pain. Add that many images are very similar makes that even worse. Good idea though.

Joe

Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

DHG

Nice find. Thanks Joe. I will give it a try and let you know what I find.