Coated vs. Uncoated curves

Started by DCurry, June 29, 2011, 12:11:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

t-pat

it's never the pressman. It's ALWAYS plates.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, I need to have some shirts made up that say "BLAME PREPRESS" :deadhorse:
vdp donkey
gmc inspire • sarcasm while you wait

Ear

It's the diodes in the platesetter, man!  :banghead:
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

David

check the laser intensity, I think number 23 is shooting low...
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

t-pat

Quote from: david on June 30, 2011, 02:36:53 PMcheck the laser intensity, I think number 23 is shooting low...

no I took number 23 out, I had a dead tail light bulb and didn't want to get a ticket on my way home the other day.
vdp donkey
gmc inspire • sarcasm while you wait

David

then check the radar range, what's your vector, Victor?
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

G_Town

Quote from: Earendil on June 30, 2011, 01:23:43 PMA couple weeks ago, pressman comes up with a pull and was saying he needed new plates because he couldn't match the proof. I went out there with the boss to look. I told him to get his densities up to at least the ballpark. He said, "they're close enough". I looked at the color bar and said, "your yellow looks like it's in the mid 30s, man, put some ink on the sheet". He says, "you don't know what you're talking about, my yellow is in the 80s, we need a new plate". I said, "humor me and measure density on that yellow". He said "no". Boss told him to do it... it read 39.  :shocked: Bossman was PISSED. I just went back up front to avoid the ensuing shitstorm. No new plates were needed.

:laugh: :salute: :uptonogood:

That's the pisser aint it, they can completely fcuk up a job and make us "fix" it but if we should have a minor issue it's the end of the world.

I still have to make plates over because "they don't fit" according to the pressman, they don't fit? This aint 1985 dude.

Ear

Seriously? They don't try the "doesn't fit" bullshit anymore around here. Mostly because when they did, I took out a ruler, measured, told the pressman to look real close and when he did, I SMASHED HIS FACE INTO THE LIGHT TABLE and screamed THIS... IS... SPARTAAAAAA!  :cheesy:
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

G_Town

Quote from: Earendil on June 30, 2011, 02:53:48 PMSeriously? They don't try the "doesn't fit" bullshit anymore around here. Mostly because when they did, I took out a ruler, measured, told the pressman to look real close and when he did, I SMASHED HIS FACE INTO THE LIGHT TABLE and screamed THIS... IS... SPARTAAAAAA!  :cheesy:

At my old company I had people that understood this isn't a misomex, here it's still all voodoo, actually had an old pressman (been here since the middle ages) say "digital bullshit" to me in response to an issue he was having. I just shook my head and walked away.

Ear

Quote from: G_Town on June 30, 2011, 02:58:08 PM
Quote from: Earendil on June 30, 2011, 02:53:48 PMSeriously? They don't try the "doesn't fit" bullshit anymore around here. Mostly because when they did, I took out a ruler, measured, told the pressman to look real close and when he did, I SMASHED HIS FACE INTO THE LIGHT TABLE and screamed THIS... IS... SPARTAAAAAA!  :cheesy:

At my old company I had people that understood this isn't a misomex, here it's still all voodoo, actually had an old pressman (been here since the middle ages) say "digital bullshit" to me in response to an issue he was having. I just shook my head and walked away.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: "voodoo". I get that shit too. I play it tho. Boss asked me what was wrong with the platesetter one day and I told him it was the 60amp Hemostatic Transmitifyer and to give me some space "in case she blew". He gave a concerned, puzzled look and ambled off. Whatamaroon

gnubler

Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

DigiCorn

Quote from: Earendil on June 30, 2011, 03:04:52 PM
Quote from: G_Town on June 30, 2011, 02:58:08 PM

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: "voodoo". I get that shit too. I play it tho. Boss asked me what was wrong with the platesetter one day and I told him it was the 60amp Hemostatic Transmitifyer and to give me some space "in case she blew". He gave a concerned, puzzled look and ambled off. Whatamaroon
Yeah/ It probably needs a new Johnson rod. Gotta have one of those.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

gnubler

Quote from: DigiCorn on June 30, 2011, 03:08:51 PMIt probably needs a new Johnson rod. Gotta have one of those.

Duh. That's usually the part that blows.  :rolleyes:
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

Ear

LoganBlade

I did this once.
Made plates lin
Set up linear test plate with screens set up along each ink key. 2% 5% 10% 25 30 40 50 60 75 80 90 95 98 100%
Had press man run to density standard they liked. (have to please them a little. but obviously told them run a tad stronger.)
I took dot gain readings for uncoated and coated (they changed density reading for each stock)
My goal was:
18% for Black at the 50
16% for the Cyan at the 50
15% for both Magenta and Yellow.

I applied my adjustment curve for coated and uncoated for each color. done everything looked great till the sold all the equipment. :)

As for having everything perfect on press... who has a press that changes blankets everyday.

"dyslexics have more fnu"