Suggestions for a new Mac

Started by Bakerman, March 18, 2015, 01:17:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Farabomb

That already happened.

and my own dog did it.  :sad:
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Farabomb

When I told the boss a new macbook pro was $3500 he became a computer expert. "if we don't NEED it now we should wait for the next newest one." Umm, yea that never works. The newest Mac is still going to be $3500 and it's a crapshoot if the newest OSX will run on last week's hardware.

I'm almost considering getting a new PC laptop. I have both versions of pitstop so that would work and be a hell of a lot cheaper. I'm far from a apple fan but it works for prepress very well. When windows 10 shows up I may have to make the jump.

Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Joe

The problem of not having a Mac is if someone sends you a Mac InDesign file...yes you can open it in Indy on Windows but it is usually a fustercluck to make it right.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Farabomb

There are still cross platform issues? You'd think they would be at least close.

The one place I work with is PC only and he says he doesn't have any issues opening mac indy files. Then again he's the worlds best prepresser so he must have some magic.

—Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Joe

Quote from: Farabomb on May 01, 2015, 10:24:53 AMThere are still cross platform issues? You'd think they would be at least close.

The one place I work with is PC only and he says he doesn't have any issues opening mac indy files. Then again he's the worlds best prepresser so he must have some magic.

It's mainly because designers are still using fonts from 1981 on their Macs in their creative masterpieces. It's pretty straight forward if a designer uses new cross-platform opentype fonts which I rarely see but even if the fonts aren't an issue it's not uncommon to see some reflow issues from one to the other. But hey, I sometimes have problems using designers Mac files on a Mac....but hey that's why we're here right?

Farabomb

True, last week I had natives with some 0kb fonts. Normal, known fonts. I used mine, massive reflow. Got the ones from the designer, and it didn't.

—Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Joe

I remember the good old OS 9 days when fonts actually worked as expected. :cane:

Farabomb

Yea, if the designer sent the actual fonts and not just shortcuts for them.

—Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Tracy

Need help getting a new computer again.
I need it for Adobe DC, I will not be using it with
XMF at this time, the operating system is not compatible.

Looking for an iMac, not sure which one to get.

Thanks for any help!!

Joe

I would go with the 27". More screen real estate is never a bad thing.

People rave about the Retina 5K display but I'm not sure I'd spend the extra cash for it to use in prepress but if money is no object...why not?

As far as the CPU goes I'd go with at least the i5. If you can spend the extra cash for the i7 even better.

I would also get it with lowest amount of RAM and then replace it with RAM from OWC. I'd want 16 gb minimum. 32 gb if you can afford it.

Tracy

Possum

I guess it depends on how much screen real estate you need. Remember to get whatever RAM you think you'll need now and in the future. I think it's soldered in on all the models now. You can get up to 16 gigs in the smaller iMac, up to 32 in the larger.

Once you decide on which model you want, check out the Apple refurb store. You can get deals there, and they all have the same warranty and qualify for AppleCare just like the brand new ones.
Tall tree, short ropes, fix stupid.

Possum

Joe, don't they have the RAM soldered to the motherboards in the iMac now, or am I getting my models mixed up.

Tracy

Is the current operating system Yosemite?
and all is good with DC?

Possum

So they say. Your results may vary.