SLOOOW iMac with new hard drive when connected to wireless

Started by andyfest, September 16, 2015, 09:01:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

andyfest

So I've been back up and running for about a week now after my old HDD on my 2010 21.5 in iMac packed it in. We installed a Seagate 7200 rpm HDD and everything seems copasetic but if I start the iMac with wireless turned on it runs slow, and I mean slow. I keep everything in list view and when I click a folder open I can count steamboats before the contents appear. If I turn wireless off and restart everything is back to "normal" speed. Any ideas? I didn't run into this with the old HDD at all. :huh: Any ideas??
Retired - CS6 on my 2012 gen MacBook Pro

Joe

What version of Mac OS? Same now as before? Maybe something corrupt during the Time Machine Restore? Does the wireless work fine from other devices?
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

andyfest

Quote from: Joe on September 16, 2015, 09:11:51 AMWhat version of Mac OS? Same now as before? Maybe something corrupt during the Time Machine Restore? Does the wireless work fine from other devices?
I re-installed the same OS as before Joe - 10.8.5. Wireless works fine now, but the Finder tasks seem to slow down the longer it's on. Turn the wireless off and reboot and everything is back to normal. All other machines are working fine with wireless.

Joe

andyfest

Thx Joe. Tried resetting NVRAM. Also reset Safari and cleaned out Library/Safari prefs, plug-ins, etc. Went into Safari preferences and cleaned out cookies and web data. Seems to be running quicker but I should know by late this aft whether speed remains intact, or degrades as wireless time connected goes longer.

wonderings

Could be a bad drive as well. Have you run disk utilities on the drive?

andyfest

Looks like it might be an issue with Creative Cloud when any of our workstations have wireless turned on. Once the effen cloud connects, it slowly turns a Mac Pro tower or my iMac into a Mac Classic. If wireless is turned off and the workstation restarted, all is well. I've set the preferences for CC so that it does not launch at start-up and advised everyone to keep wireless off until work is done. We'll check into the cloud once a month or so. They have certainly chafed something as this didn't appear to be a real issue for us a couple of months ago. I've been scanning the Adobe forums and a ton of ppl are having the same issue.  :banghead:

Joe

So you actually use wireless networking for Macs in a prepress environment? Doesn't that make running things across the network a bit slow in general? I've never tried that, hence haven't seen this issue.

andyfest

Quote from: Joe on September 28, 2015, 07:59:23 AMSo you actually use wireless networking for Macs in a prepress environment? Doesn't that make running things across the network a bit slow in general? I've never tried that, hence haven't seen this issue.
Not exactly. We're hard-cabled in a LAN with each other and the RIPs for Nexus and Oris. The wireless is only used for internet or ftp use by two of our workstations. The third workstation is hard-wired to the router for internet use. The two workstations using Wireless experience the worst slowdowns.

Joe

Are you sure your wireless router is not the problem? Try using internet sharing through one of your macs that is hardwired and connect to its wireless access instead of the router and see if you still have the same problem.

andyfest

It could be the router - its pretty old, but when I get a chance I'll try hard wiring one of the workstations in and see how performance is then.

Mikie

Any update on this? I was talking to our IT guy here and one of our designers is having the exact same issue when she logs onto her wireless at home.

andyfest

I haven't tried a new router yet Mikie, nor have I had the time to try hard-wiring another workstation. We did set the preferences for CC so it doesn't automatically fire up at log-in in the morning. Our only issues with the wireless and the CPU performance seem to be after connection to the Cloud. Now we just check in every Friday am to see if there are updates and to let Abode know we are still alive. Then I kick their asses off and restart. :strangle:

David

weirdness...  I got an email yesterday from the corp IT guys telling us to turn off wi-fi on any mac with the CC apps...

betcha can't guess why

all our macs are hard wired anyway, but still
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

Joe

Well I'm sure if it is because of Adobe they have a really good reason.