Preps 6 multiple sigs question

Started by whamboozeled, October 30, 2014, 06:37:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ear

Joe works at a web shop too.

And damn, as if press guys don't already want to kill prepress... you make them rotate their cylinders on purpose, FFS?!?! I wouldn't dream of doing something that forced the press to advance or rotate a cylinder deliberately. That is why we have measurements and fancy programs. I give my web presses plates that are positioned correctly and I don't think they have had to roll a cylinder in years!
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

whamboozeled

Quote from: Ear on October 31, 2014, 03:25:43 PMAnd I agree with Joe about the position thing, don't understand why position changes.

We are running 14'' forms with a 28"" cut off.
So say there is a Black Screen that runs all the way to the bottom of the page,
you would need to move that copy up to get it out of the gap.
And on that same page you have a CMY sreeen that runs all the way to the top of the page you would have to move that copy down to get it out of the gap. Thus the different starting positions.

Rampage uses FPO's in preps.

Ear

Gotcha. You must be running something like a Muller variable cutoff? 

I'm running news webs with a set 22.75" cutoff and a Heatset web with a set 23.5625" cutoff. We do tabloid and signature work which come off press bundled or go to bindery for stitch and post-trim.

Still, even with variable cutoff, I would think there would be a way to impose so the press didn't have to mess with rolling cylinders, but I may be wrong.

You might be limited working with FPOs in Rampage. Workflows with integrated imposition have more flexibility.

"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

Joe

Quote from: Ear on October 31, 2014, 04:11:05 PMGotcha. You must be running something like a Muller variable cutoff?

I'm running news webs with a set 22.75" cutoff and a Heatset web with a set 23.5625" cutoff. We do tabloid and signature work which come off press bundled or go to bindery for stitch and post-trim.

Still, even with variable cutoff, I would think there would be a way to impose so the press didn't have to mess with rolling cylinders, but I may be wrong.

You might be limited working with FPOs in Rampage. Workflows with integrated imposition have more flexibility.

Agree with that. There has got to be a better way but I know nothing of Rampage. I know I wouldn't have to do anything like that with Prinergy.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Ear

Indeed. XMF (Sierra) would make short work of it too. Also, talking to the pressmen about the process might help gain some insight on things you can do in prepress.

When I started here, 11 years ago, the prepress and press hated each other and the press guys had to do all sorts of crazy things to make jobs run. I started talking to them about how the presses worked and what would help and got it all dialed in.

Joe

Our pressmen have a heart attack if you even mention rolling the cylinder. Funny thing with them weirdos though is something can be wrong that isn't setup right for them and they work around it for a year before they finally mention it...well I can't fix it if you don't tell me about it.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

frailer

Quote from: Joe on October 31, 2014, 04:39:37 PM..well I can't fix it if you don't tell me about it.
I've finally trained our guys to come in and talk.   :rolleyes:  Took a while. No, I'm not gonna get all huffy... I just wanna get it right.
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

Farabomb

I trained my guys years ago to talk to me.

I still get the occasional "we been having a problem for a while" when bad things happen. Did you tell me? I'm not a mind reader.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         â€”Benjamin Franklin

My other job