Average life of a Mac

Started by pspdfppdfxhd, January 29, 2016, 07:26:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ear

Just a little... closer.... almost reach the logic board

"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

born2print

That PC belonged to a Dustoff® user I bet
Those days are gone forever
I should just let them go but...

Ear

"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

David

I had one that looked like that here in the pressroom...   blew it out with canned air, the fan started working...  made tons of noise, then fried itself. 

that was my CIP3 box.
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

born2print

Ear

David

a bearded ostrich with a doo rag?

badass
Livin' la Vida Loca

Ear

David

Livin' la Vida Loca

frailer

We've got an ex-Rugby forward/lawyer/journalist/author and all-round-mouth here. Needless to say I made a connection.

FWIW, Peter FitzSimons.
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

born2print

Farabomb

With the proper application of force and lube, yes.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         â€”Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Ear

Fontaholic

Quote from: Farabomb on February 02, 2016, 03:46:30 PM
Quote from: Fontaholic on February 02, 2016, 02:38:43 PMMy PC server shit the bed over the weekend -- came in yesterday to find it off and when I booted it up, got a warning that the last shut-down was due to "a thermal event".

Our repair guy tried his darndest, but was unable to resurrect the machine, even when he transferred the old hard drive into a different PC tower shell (at which point I began using "Frankenstein's Monster" analogies)...

Although I had only been using this PC as a server for four years (since its predecessor gave up the ghost), the PC itself was 13 years old and still ran on Windows XP! :old:

Now we have to figure out if the machine truly needs to be replaced or if we can do without it, seeing as how a lot of the stuff we kept it around for (platemaker, RIP processor) are no longer in the picture...

Cheers,
John the Fontaholic :drunk3:

Swapping drives will only work if the motherboard and cards are almost identical. If the core drivers are different, it's going to throw a fit. This is only of it's the system drive, data drives shouldn't be an issue.

It's it's old I'm betting the thermal paste between the CPU and the heatsink is dried up. It's also possible the heatsink is full of dust and/or the fan is dead. You can try and apply new paste and/or clean out the dust bunnies from the heatsink and you might be able to bring it back to life.

That's what our repair/tech guy tried to do -- apply new thermal paste, blew out all the dust bunnies (not as bad as I thought ti would be), even replaced the fan with one from a virtually identical machine we had lying around here.

All to no avail, alas...  It has gone to Silicon Heaven.

Cheers,
John the Fontaholic :drunk3:

StudioMonkey

Quote from: wonderings on January 29, 2016, 08:38:05 AMA simple upgrade to an SSD will breath new life into your iMac, everything will feel and load extremely fast.
I have a 2008 iMac at home and it's getting slow.  I been wondering about swapping the internal HD for an SSD but it looks scary to do and I probably can't afford for Apple to do it.

Has anyone run an iMac off an external SSD boot disk?
Time flies like an arrow - fruit flies like a banana