Preps 5.xx for Mac

Started by LarryWol, June 30, 2015, 01:40:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LarryWol

Hi, I am new to this forum and starting to work with a company who still uses an old version of Preps (5.2). I will be working as a backup during the holidays or sickness. But I noticed that getting to learn Preps is hard so I was wondering if someone has a copy of 5.2/3 for me for educational/training use at home.

At the office they work with preps windows but at home I have a mac. I like to have a copy to start using it at home so I can learn quicker. I have looked around but it is hard to find an old copy. I hope you can help me.

Cheers,
Larry
The Netherland.

Farabomb

Seeing as it's a registered pice of software I doubt you will be able to find someone here willing to face the wrath of the red K.

I know I had a demo of 5.3 ganging but it may have needed a dongle. I did do a google search and it turned up some demo downloads. Obviously run a virus scan on them before installing but the demos should let you create impos and other tasks but I don't think it will let you output a job file. For learning, that should work just fine.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         â€”Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Joe

The demo won't let you print or save anything but you can mess around with it. You would have to have a dongle to use all of the features. I probably still have the software somewhere. If you install it and run it without a dongle attached it will automatically run in demo mode so I don't think the big red K would care.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Farabomb

I was thinking that was the case but since I've been on floating licence since the EVO install I couldn't test if removing the dongle would put it into demo.

I looked through my box 'o old disks and found apogee series 3 and NT install disks but no Preps, sorry.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         â€”Benjamin Franklin

My other job

LarryWol

It is indeed just for pure practice. Getting to know how to work with it. I do not have the intention to use it otherwise than for practice.
Joe, if you have the software somewhere laying around I would sincerely appreciate it.

Cheers, Larry

Joe

Click here:

https://resources.kodak.com/services/132dd12/download2rnt.php?file=Preps_5-3-3_Mac_Installer.dmg

When downloaded run the enclosed "Kodak Download Manager" and it will download Preps 5.3.3 for you.

LarryWol

Hi Joe, thanks a lot. Does it run on mac osx yosemite?

Joe

No. Nothing above OS X 10.6.8. It is a PPC app. They do not run on OS X 10.7 and beyond.

LarryWol

LarryWol

Hi Joe, I bought a secondhand imac G5 1.8 Ghz, 768 ram osx 10.5.8. The kodak download manager sign displays a stop sign in it and telling me that the Kodak Download Manager can not be used with this version of osx.
What is wrong?

Larry

Joe

My guess is that OS X 10.5.8 is too old to run the Kodak Download Manager. Download it using your Yosemite Mac and then install it on the G5.

LarryWol

It is om the G5 now and after installing I get, by clicking on Preps, an exclamation telling me that there is a problem with my license. I neem to contact the Kodak response center. But it will not run in demo mode. Preps Ganging does. But I want Preps to be running in demo mode. And running preps in download is fine by me.

Joe

Hmmmm....not sure. I guess try copying the license file over from the Windows install you already have and see if it will run in demo mode then.

frailer

I have a PREPS dongle of that era here (Mac).. (are they split Mac/PC or all purpose?... dunno).
You can have it... worthless to us. PM me your address and I'll mail it to you.

I am old, and never want to touch PREPS or Dynastrip again.  :old:

OK, while I'm here .. old guy story. Shanghai-born press helper, been with us about 20 years.. I show him my latest watch acquisition; pristine 70s Chunlei (Shanghai).. $50, got in from a Serbian watch nut on WatchUSeek forums. Beautiful watch (IMO, which is all that matters.

He says: "Hey, one like that... my first watch!"

Me: "Guess what... my last!"     :rotf:
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

frailer

LarryWol, I think I'll step back slowly from that offer, heartfelt as it was. May be some, ahem, legal/licensing issues we'd rather not trip over.
My episodic contact with the Big Red K has never been felicitous; better not to push my luck.

There are online tutes, am sure; I've used them in the past. Let me pursue it; I'll post links if I find any.

Wa-ay back (12 years ago) I used prepresstraining.com for PREPS stuff. They were based in Minnesota, but may not even exist now, as it was before the lynda.com onslaught.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

They're now called Premedia Training Solutions. My guess is a short-term sub would do it.

Topics listed  here....

.... looks like you can buy that topic/suite, no time limit. If that's the case, would be well worthwhile, as you could log in and learn/revise as needed.
Good luck with it.
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.