Bar code plugin for Indesign

Started by David, September 30, 2008, 09:50:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

David

well, yes and no. He made me all the barcodes and sent me a data file to do the merge. Works like a champ!

It solved my current problem, but if this happens again, I will need to be able to do it myself. He used XMPie to generate the barcodes, which is a great tool, if you got the bucks. Sadly, I now work in a small mom & pop shop and although we have some great stuff/tools here, they are lacking in heavy lifting tools. Not a prob, just keeps me busy and off the streets. 

Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

Tracy

I need to figure it out too, as it is now I have a 10,000 barcode I do once a year
I pay to have it done.

Farabomb

Nothing wrong with those mom and pop shops, we just have to be more inventive.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         â€”Benjamin Franklin

My other job

David

Quote from: Farabomb on December 02, 2016, 07:25:07 AMNothing wrong with those mom and pop shops, we just have to be more inventive.

very true.
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

pabney

David,
No problem, glad I could help. I actually used this project as a training exercise for one of my new guys. I used XMPie for this as that is the tool we have on hand, and is what he needed training in. Unfortunately, I have not found many good free or cheap tools for barcoding on the Mac. Especially if you need to create a bunch of them. Even XMPie is not my first choice for creating barcodes for Indesign's mail merge, as it creates them in one document and you then have to split the pdf into individual files. Of course if this project was mine, I would not need Indesign's mail merge.

For those of you that need batch creation of barcodes for free I would suggest you take a look at Zint http://zint.org.uk/
There is a gui for Windows that works pretty good, and the command line works on both Mac and PC.

Tracy,
When it comes time to create those codes, let me know, maybe I can help

Tracy

:) Thanks Pab!
I will check out your link too!