Linear gradient question

Started by frailer, August 24, 2009, 11:53:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

frailer

Got 3 test PDFs supplied, (they are out of Indy), with Placed Illy Linear Gradients. Test plates done to see if it will print OK in metallic Gold 8003. Double gradients running across the page...98%>40%>98%>40%...back to 98% at the other end. Landscape A3 dimensions.
Looks slightly "streaky", even on (pretty good), display. Similar on plate. Haven't run them yet.

Nature of the beast? Anyone been down this road before?

Zoomed in Screenshot below, just to illuminate the nature of the job...not actually see the "streaks".

Have opened the gradient in Illy, with the TouchUpObjects Tool. Nothing to report, other than stated above...

Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

Skryber

Did you try to recreate the gradient yourself? I would run a linearization test on your plates also. I've had this problem but it was fixed after a linearization, but it never looked streaky on screen.
Also, are they 2 gradients on top of eachother (transparent and gold)? If so, recreate it all on one gradient and use white, not transparent.
Rampage 11.1 • Preps 5.32 • Fuji Film Sabre P-9600 CTP Platesetter with inline FLP 1260 processor • Rampage •  ManRoland PECOM using CIP3 data • HP DesignJet 5500 42" 6/C • Epson Stylus Pro 9880 • Xerox Docucolor 8000 with Fiery • Mutoh ValueJet 1604 • Océ Arizona 250 GT • Océ Arizona 365 GT • Onyx Production House/THRIVE • ManRoland 700 5/c + coat and 2/3 perfect • and a coupla' Heidelbergs and other stuff

David

have the gradients been scaled or rotated in any way?
Scaling is the worst because if it's reduced it will compress the gradient range and look choppy and if enlarged it will show banding due to the stretching of the gradient range.
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

beck

You could open the gradient in Photoshop and add some noise. 

We had a similar gradient that had banding on our Epson proof.  We knew it would look worse in production. Did it a few weeks ago with a Brown, NOT metallic, and it worked wonders.

beck
Nevertheless....beck has hit the proverbial nail on the head.
Joe

Skryber

Quote from: beck  on August 25, 2009, 07:37:20 AMYou could open the gradient in Photoshop and add some noise. 

We had a similar gradient that had banding on our Epson proof.  We knew it would look worse in production. Did it a few weeks ago with a Brown, NOT metallic, and it worked wonders.

beck

We do that all the time. Never tried it on a spot color. I'll have to remember that.
Rampage 11.1 • Preps 5.32 • Fuji Film Sabre P-9600 CTP Platesetter with inline FLP 1260 processor • Rampage •  ManRoland PECOM using CIP3 data • HP DesignJet 5500 42" 6/C • Epson Stylus Pro 9880 • Xerox Docucolor 8000 with Fiery • Mutoh ValueJet 1604 • Océ Arizona 250 GT • Océ Arizona 365 GT • Onyx Production House/THRIVE • ManRoland 700 5/c + coat and 2/3 perfect • and a coupla' Heidelbergs and other stuff

frailer

Quote from: beck  on August 25, 2009, 07:37:20 AMYou could open the gradient in Photoshop and add some noise. 

beck

...I joked about doing that with my compadre. Why did I think it was a joke?    :huh:     :laugh:   

Worth a go, by the sounds.

Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman

Chilbear

Another solution might be to drop the line screen on the tint plate. We did this trick on a job where the designer place a saturated bxw pic within a solid. Can you say plugged dots? Dropping the line screen opened up the quarter tones enuf but made it coarse but WTF it "looked" better.

frailer

Quote from: Chilbear on August 25, 2009, 01:59:32 PMAnother solution might be to drop the line screen on the tint plate. We did this trick on a job where the designer place a saturated bxw pic within a solid. Can you say plugged dots? Dropping the line screen opened up the quarter tones enuf but made it coarse but WTF it "looked" better.

Another option...thanks.