Latest iMacs

Started by frailer, September 25, 2016, 05:32:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

frailer

We crawl closer to Phase 1 of long overdue upgrades.

mac reseller says that Pro towers are 3 yr old tech. New iMacs are more recent, have better displays, run cooler.

Ballpark on similarly spec'd, (speed/RAM/Storage wise) Towers is ~AU$ 6200.

-iMac would be about $4100.

Add a display cost to the Tower. OK, we don't need a Pro for what we do.

Anyone experienced a recent model iMac? As described above? Apparently the display res has gone higher.
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

Joe

Ultra 5K HD. A few people here at the forum are using them. First name that pops into my mind is Tracy.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

frailer

Thx. Dragging through a chaotic Monday here. I'll pick up late tomorrow your time. :hello:
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman

zox

I am using latest 27in 5K model, resolution is 5120 x 2880.
Machine is awesome, no issues and is very fast.

DigiCorn

We just got 4 new iMacs, maxed out with everything. I'm not at one of the workstations that got the upgrade. I'll try to sneak on one later, and report back.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

DPSprint

Quote from: zox on September 26, 2016, 07:51:50 AMI am using latest 27in 5K model, resolution is 5120 x 2880.

ditto here, love it!
 very hard to go home to my 2007 iMac at times

frailer

Once it's now that it's got the nod from some peeps here, I can relax.  :grin:

Tracy

Mac 5 is bit faster than Mac 6
It's noticeable

I got Mac 5 for free during the Video card debacle!!

zox

Quote from: DPSprint on September 26, 2016, 04:58:48 PM
Quote from: zox on September 26, 2016, 07:51:50 AMI am using latest 27in 5K model, resolution is 5120 x 2880.

ditto here, love it!
 very hard to go home to my 2007 iMac at times
My iMac at home is late 2012 so it's not big difference in speed, however it is 21.5" so I am missing couple of inches of screen.
For web browsing at home, etc.. it's fine, however when I vpn into work, anything I want to do is too cramped on small screen.

Farabomb

Mac 5 should be faster, it has a faster and better CPU.

And yes, I am very jealous. I have a feeling Snow Leopard will be the last OS I use here in prepress.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

wonderings

I use a 5k iMac, I maxed it out when ordering. Great machine, can never go back to a screen less the UHD now. 

It does not show in the screen shot, but I also went with the 1TB flash drive. You might not need the larger size drive, but you do want a flash drive, all the speed of the machine will be barely noticeable without it... in my opinion. Once you go SSD/Flash you never go back.

Farabomb

I totally agree with a SSD system disk. I used to fight with RAID arrays and such to mitigate that bottleneck but all my personal systems have SSD's as system drives now.

Wonder, that's one hell of a machine you got there. I remember when motherboards maxed out at 8g of memory. I really need to get back into building systems just to see where we are at now.

Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Tracy

Quote from: Farabomb on September 28, 2016, 09:51:21 AMI totally agree with a SSD system disk. I used to fight with RAID arrays and such to mitigate that bottleneck but all my personal systems have SSD's as system drives now.

Wonder, that's one hell of a machine you got there. I remember when motherboards maxed out at 8g of memory. I really need to get back into building systems just to see where we are at now.
I was waaaay behind for a long time (years) it got to the point It was slowing me down so much we had to upgrade

wonderings

Quote from: Tracy on September 28, 2016, 10:59:21 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on September 28, 2016, 09:51:21 AMI totally agree with a SSD system disk. I used to fight with RAID arrays and such to mitigate that bottleneck but all my personal systems have SSD's as system drives now.

I was waaaay behind for a long time (years) it got to the point It was slowing me down so much we had to upgrade

I generally upgrade my machine every 3 to 4 years. I am the bosses son I get a bit more say on that then a regular employee. I always have the top end machine and when I upgrade I hand my machine down, so everyone gets an upgrade.

Farabomb

I'm the boss's brother and I have the opposite experience. Since I manage to get things out no matter what so that means there is no reason to upgrade.

—Benjamin Franklin

My other job