Preps 5.3 - Create Imposition

Started by zacgil, September 26, 2014, 11:09:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zacgil

Quote from: DigitalCrapShoveler on September 26, 2014, 12:39:29 PMAhhh, but it does. At least we are getting somewhere. We now know it is NOT preps, it's something EVO is doing during the refine process, or it is still a PDF problem. Take a screenshot of your refine settings.

Also, try refrying the PDF in InDesign using these attached settings. I'm not ruling out a bad PDF just yet.

I'm working on the Indesign now... Do you want me to use the optimized file in indesign?

It seems to be a combination of a bad PDF and the Refine process.  Just because all our files go through the Refine, and some will still "Create Impos".  I've attached a screenshot of the "Normalize" section in the refine template.  Is there another section that would be more helpful?
I am a punky, sophisticated lesbian (or something similar).

DigitalCrapShoveler

I'm not seeing an attachment. Also, use dropbox or wetransfer.com and post the link. I want to see this PDF. It may give us a clue as to what is happening in the refine process.
Member #285 - Civilian

zacgil

Here are the files. Pre Refine/Optimize and one Post.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/a6y8ljslvhb7yqk/AADEPIonzSHoNr9temrUbJL0a?dl=0

Also, using your setttings,  the file worked with the "Create Impo" temp.

DigitalCrapShoveler

Okay, I am downloading now. Give me a minute to check it out.

Interesting about the PDF settings. Definitely seeing a pattern here. Oh, and your refine settings look fine as well.

Did you try my settings in conjunction with your Ink Optimization software?
Member #285 - Civilian

zacgil

Quote from: DigitalCrapShoveler on September 26, 2014, 01:47:30 PMOkay, I am downloading now. Give me a minute to check it out.

Interesting about the PDF settings. Definitely seeing a pattern here. Oh, and your refine settings look fine as well.

Did you try my settings in conjunction with your Ink Optimization software?

Somewhat, What I did was "Placed" the Ink Optimized files in an Indesign document then exported using your settings. And that worked. What I haven't done is used their original PDF with your settings then run it through the Refine/Optimize.  I can do that next. 

DigitalCrapShoveler

There is something in the PDF settings that the refine is either not liking or jacking up. Let me know what you discover.
Member #285 - Civilian

DigitalCrapShoveler

BTW, you have some black issues going on in that PDF. FYI. Other than that, it looks pretty solid.
Member #285 - Civilian

Joe

Seems like a confusing way of doing it. Why not just take the original PDF and run it through Alwan, then refine and impose within Prinergy? It really seems like you are making it harder than it should be.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

zacgil

I just placed the OG file in ID then exported one with DCS settings and one with normal PDFx1a 2001 settings.  Then refined/optimized both and both succeeded in "Create Impo".  So it's got to be something with their PDF settings.  

Joe

Quote from: zacgil on September 26, 2014, 03:06:26 PMI just placed the OG file in ID then exported one with DCS settings and one with normal PDFx1a 2001 settings.  Then refined/optimized both and both succeeded in "Create Impo".  So it's got to be something with their PDF settings.

PDFx1a will flatten the file. Which might indicate it might be a transparency issue since Preps 5.3 is getting pretty old. Lot of new transparency effects in existence now that weren't when Preps 5 was released. It it one of the good reasons why a print shop should stay up to date on software. Even though management doesn't want to hear it. But if they want to run with the big dogs they have to stop pissing like a puppy.

zacgil

Gotcha, yeah that makes sense.  Welp, maybe we can force all the customers to send in PDFX1a files from now on.....hahah

Thanks for all the help tho!

Joe

Quote from: zacgil on September 26, 2014, 05:19:31 PMGotcha, yeah that makes sense.  Welp, maybe we can force all the customers to send in PDFX1a files from now on.....hahah

Thanks for all the help tho!

Flattened PDF's is the last thing I would be asking for.