End Rolls on Epson 9900

Started by zacgil, December 19, 2014, 01:51:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zacgil

So, here's the situation:

We have two proofers now, a HP 1050C for all the coldset, uncoated work and a Epson 9900 for the glossy heatset jobs.  The HP 1050 is on its last leg.  With that said, we will be needing a replacement for the HP in the next year or so. 

The higher ups want to get a shiny, new high end dot proofer to replace the Epson 9900 and use the Epson 9900 for all our uncoated coldset jobs.  They also want to figure out a way to use End/Butt rolls on the Epson.  From the research I've done this is not possible.  Using end-rolls on the Epson would not work, they would bleed too much.  Even if it could it seems like overkill to use the Epson 9900 for newsprint jobs.  Also, I bet it would be a lot more expensive.  Obviously they don't take my word for it and want me to make it work. 

Am I wrong? Is this actually possible?

Or can one of you give me some fancy buzzwords to use to help prove my point?

:banghead:
I am a punky, sophisticated lesbian (or something similar).

Farabomb

I can't help with the end rolls as we're sheetfed but I can use uncoated sheets in the 9800 but coated just ends up as a mess.

For content it's fine but not for color.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Joe

Back when we had wide format Canon printers we printed newsprint on end rolls. Worked pretty well actually and we saved a butt load of money on paper. Not as much as we saved on getting rid of all printers but it was still significant savings.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

zacgil

Yeah the butt rolls are nice, that's what we are using on our HP.  It works great.  But, I've heard using the same butt rolls on the Epson would not work..
I am a punky, sophisticated lesbian (or something similar).

Ear

Same here.. have used butt rolls on the HP but NOT the Epson. I tried it once on the 10,600 and the ink never dried. I'm guessing Epson paper has a special coating or something? Have not tried with the 9900 and not going to.
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

David

Epson inks are the problem. It has to go on the special coating they put on their paper (where did I see that at?... hmmm).
It won't dry, and I believe the technical term is called "ink and paper mismatch".
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

Farabomb

Interesting, wonder if that's why the Kodak paper I have doesn't dry

Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Ear

I tried some cut stock in my home Epson, years ago, and remember the same problem... never dried. The dryer must be in a coating on the Epson sheets. The HP will print on everything, but won't color calibrate like the Epson.
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

David

yeah, they tried that trick of printing on the Epson here several years back. And, after several days of the paper/ink not drying, they had me contact Epson Tech and that's what I was told (about the ink paper mismatch and the lack of drying).
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

Ear

Farabomb

I can still use uncoated in mine but no coated sheets will work.

—Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Joe

Quote from: Farabomb on December 23, 2014, 01:09:02 PMI can still use uncoated in mine but no coated sheets will work.

That was my experience when we had an Epson...kind of. I could run a 3rd party uncoated ink jet paper but end rolls from the press would not work. (Drying issue)

Farabomb

Only end rolls we have around here are some white 40-50# we use for stuffing boxes.

I can take sheets from the sheetfed, as long as it's not coated and it will print and dry. Coated turns into a Rorschach test.

The kodak paper that was used to match the press no longer works. Another Rorschach test but it matters not, we switched to ProofLine paper when we kicked Kodak out and they jacked the paper price.

—Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Joe

Quote from: Farabomb on December 23, 2014, 01:38:59 PMOnly end rolls we have around here are some white 40-50# we use for stuffing boxes.

I can take sheets from the sheetfed, as long as it's not coated and it will print and dry. Coated turns into a Rorschach test.

The kodak paper that was used to match the press no longer works. Another Rorschach test but it matters not, we switched to ProofLine paper when we kicked Kodak out and they jacked the paper price.

We just quit making hard proofs period. Solved a lot of problems. :rotf:

andyfest

Quote from: Farabomb on December 23, 2014, 01:38:59 PMOnly end rolls we have around here are some white 40-50# we use for stuffing boxes.

Fuji makes a pretty good proofing paper and the price used to be half-decent. When we got our new proofing system, we switched to the CGS certified proofing paper. It's about the same cost/ft.
Retired - CS6 on my 2012 gen MacBook Pro