News:

Main Menu

Retrospect revisited

Started by DigiCorn, January 10, 2012, 09:37:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe

Quote from: Farabomb on January 11, 2012, 12:48:38 PMI can send you a maxtor that's 10 years old, shit I have a pair of them. Used them on many gaming machine builds in a RAID array system drive. I liked small, fast drives for the boot/system drives and they work to this day. Haven't had issue with any major manufacturer except IBM and their "deathstar" 120g drives. They got out of the game and sold that division to.... Hitachi. For that reason and that reason only I will avoid buying any Hitachi drives. WD and Seagate are my main 2 and since prices are so low I don't have to consider maxtors mainly becasue of others hatred of them.

I will say again, treat them well and HDDs last. I have 3 that were under water and now I might get a dock just to see if they still work.

Cheaping out on your optical media for backups is asking for trouble. They are cheap for a reason.

Agreed. You better do triple quadruple backups and you might end up with one you can read in 6 months.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

DigitalCrapShoveler

Member #285 - Civilian

Joe

Storage Format: Hard Disk Drives

Pros: Large storage capacity for the price / Typically good lifespan

Cons: Susceptible to malfunction due to mechanical failures and physical impact

If you own a computer, be it desktop or laptop, then you most likely have files stored on a hard drive of some type, probably housed within your computer. While may be the safest place to store your hard drive(s,) doing so will not guarantee a trouble free experience. Why? A hard drive is somewhat similar to an old vinyl record player: housed inside the hard drives' outer casing are discs which spin as a mechanical arm moves back and forth above the disc surface, reading and writing data to and from the platters beneath. While this method of data storage has worked for many, many years, there has always been one unavoidable fault which leads to inevitable failure of a hard drive: the aforementioned mechanical parts. As with any device which relies on constant and precise mechanical movement to run, hard drive parts eventually fail, usually taking your data to the grave with them. Due to the precision with which they operate, hard impacts may also cause a hard drive to read or write data in error, and possibly fail altogether as well. Despite these shortcomings, most hard drives have a life expectancy of at least 3-5 years, with many reportedly living a healthy life at 10+ years of age.

Storage Format: Optical Media (CD-R / DVD-R)

Pros: Inexpensive, portable

Cons: Inconsistent lifespan, temperamental storage requirements, data lost over time due to degradation

Optical media, such as burnable CD's and DVD's, are quite handy for short term storage of data. However, they remain a less than desirable choice for long term and mission critical data archival. The reason is simple: everyday optical media degrades quickly and easily. Although many manufacturers claim their optical media will last for 30 years or more under perfect conditions, their actual lifespan with normal use and storage is typically closer to a few years (at most) than a few decades. There are many different factors which conspire against the lifespan of CD-R's and DVD-R's; sub-par dyes (the reflective portion of a disc where data is written) which degrade much sooner than rated, exposure to heat, cold, or sunlight which also degrade said dyes, and weak or wrongly calibrated optical disc burners which fail to write data as intended. All of these factors make everyday optical media formats a less than favorable storage choice; ok for short term data storage, but definitely not the choice for long term backup of important information.

gnubler

How many times are we going to cover this? :laugh:
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

DigitalCrapShoveler

Just a bunch of words. Who wrote that? Probably some suit/sales puke working for Maxtor or Wiki. HDDs are about as reliable as Andy Dick in rehab.
Member #285 - Civilian

Joe

Quote from: gnubler on January 11, 2012, 01:09:59 PMHow many times are we going to cover this? :laugh:

Until DCS gets it?

:lmao:

DigitalCrapShoveler

The only thing I get, is that HDDs are unreliable, never trust automation and PDFs are only as good as the moron creating them. Oh yeah, and Freehand RULES.
Member #285 - Civilian

gnubler

Quote from: DigitalCrapShoveler on January 11, 2012, 01:14:50 PMThe only thing I get, is that HDDs are unreliable, never trust automation and PDFs are only as good as the moron creating them. Oh yeah, and Freehand RULES.

What about buying RAM from Apple? I forget...
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

DigitalCrapShoveler

Quote from: gnubler on January 11, 2012, 01:22:41 PM
Quote from: DigitalCrapShoveler on January 11, 2012, 01:14:50 PMThe only thing I get, is that HDDs are unreliable, never trust automation and PDFs are only as good as the moron creating them. Oh yeah, and Freehand RULES.

What about buying RAM from Apple? I forget...

I was told to buy all my RAM from Apple. Who am I to question? :laugh:
Member #285 - Civilian

DigiCorn

Quote from: DigitalCrapShoveler on January 11, 2012, 01:14:50 PMThe only thing I get, is that HDDs are unreliable, never trust automation and PDFs are only as good as the moron creating them. Oh yeah, and Freehand RULES Oh yeah, and Freehand SUCKS.
Well said.  :goodpost:
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

Joe

Anything else?

Farabomb

Yes.

How many licks does it take to get to the center of a totsie pop?
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Joe

Quote from: Farabomb on January 11, 2012, 02:18:57 PMYes.

How many licks does it take to get to the center of a totsie pop?

http://www.tootsie.com/comp_faq.php

How many licks does it take to get to the center of a Tootsie Pop?

It depends on a variety of factors such as the size of your mouth, the amount of saliva, etc. Basically, the world may never know.

DigitalCrapShoveler

Quote from: Joe on January 11, 2012, 02:07:47 PM

Anything else?

Never sleep with Bindery Whores.
Member #285 - Civilian

Farabomb

What about the pickle slicer?
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job