News:

Main Menu

QR codes

Started by Laurens, November 22, 2009, 10:54:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Laurens

Some blog post drew my attention to QR codes - those 2D barcodes that allow you to add a web link on a printed page. I searched around a little and created a QR code information page on Prepressure.com. Apart from noticing these codes a few times in magazines, I have no experience with them.

Can anyone recommend software to create these kinds of barcodes?
I am also curious about using color in these or other barcodes: are there any guidelines for this?
Having fun writing about prepress & printing for my Prepressure site

Falstaff

Wow, very interesting. Watch the vid here http://www.copress.org/2009/02/03/bridging-the-print-digital-divide-with-qr-codes/

Too bad my cell phone is only a cell phone.  :grin:

David

did a little research on these myself (mind you, a VERY little)
There are a lot of web sites that will let you (for free) generate these codes and save/download the file
If you want to buy the software, it ranges from under 100 bucks US to several hundreds of dollars.
Not all scanners are equal (some read them better than others, depends on the size of the code itself)
You can add images and colors to some

and, from my limited research, there's not a lot of info regarding content, only a lot of sales pitches.
I think the companies are holding back in order to get you to purchase their codes/software and the support that ultimately you will need.
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

David

Ok,
We're looking into buying software to generate the 2D codes. These are 2d codes, QR, Data matrix, etc.
Anyone have anything or know of software out there that is a local install. Meaning it is NOT a Web generated code, but software that you own and operate yourself. Not a yearly subscription. Installed on a Mac or a PC.
I am aware of xmPie and Fusion Pro having the capability of making the codes, but I want something that is not linked to mailing software or variable data software.

thanks In advance,
David
Livin' la Vida Loca

beck

We use ArtPro to generate the Data Matrix codes.  We don't have a scanner to verify, however.  After the job is printed, we send them out for verification.  Kind of like locking the barn after the horse gets away.  We've never had one that did not scan or scanned bad.

The QR bar codes are so far only being used by 1 customer.  They are supplied on the art - we do not build.  The only verification we do is have someone scan it with their phone - if it goes to the proper web site, we call it good.

We have Bar Code Producer, and it does not build either.

beck
Nevertheless....beck has hit the proverbial nail on the head.
Joe

t-pat

Quote from: david on April 26, 2011, 09:56:43 AMOk,
We're looking into buying software to generate the 2D codes. These are 2d codes, QR, Data matrix, etc.
Anyone have anything or know of software out there that is a local install. Meaning it is NOT a Web generated code, but software that you own and operate yourself. Not a yearly subscription. Installed on a Mac or a PC.
I am aware of xmPie and Fusion Pro having the capability of making the codes, but I want something that is not linked to mailing software or variable data software.

thanks In advance,
David

if you just need to generate one at a time I use Bytescout Bar Code Generator, it's freeware for PC. Does not seem to do batch though.
vdp donkey
gmc inspire • sarcasm while you wait

Sabrina The Turd Polisher

Ambidextrous, Double-jointed Prepress Slave
We all have issues. The only people that don't are the dead ones. ©2011 Joe  |  doomed ©2011 david

Tracy

I think were going to be seeing a lot more of the QR codes.
There is an article about it in the April - Printing Impressions Mag.

David let us know what software you get, sounds reasonable.

beck

Just sorting thru some old E-Mail...Bar Code Producer 6.5 does make QR codes.

Figures... we just bought 6.2 about 4 months ago.

beck

The upgrade is $60.00.
Joe

beck

http://www.istartedsomething.com/20090108/microsoft-tag-microsofts-own-2d-barcode/

He's a link to another type of barcode we've been printing the last few months.  Only one customer, but it's a big company, and the sell a LOT to Walmart.

beck
Joe

David

They are popping up in a lot of print material recently. Several months ago they were all over a copy of Golf Digest, and a few other mainstream mags. They were all over the recent SXSW in Austin (posters, labels, tickets, etc).
We did some our self (they were supplied) for a Superbowl gathering here in town. When scanned, it would take you to your own personal web page for some product, what, I can't recall.
Most of the QR codes are generated online or downloaded as a SDK for a web interface.
I've played with Microsoft Tag, Qyoo, Mobi Tags, etc. Our Esko software (Suite 7) does the Data Matrix like beck has in Artpro.
They all do about the same thing, some more than others as far as the multiple "call to action" requests go.
I'm not sure what type of code we are looking to go with, the request was made to either get an upgrade to our existing barcode software or find a new source.

So, I'm off to the hunt, so to speak.
Livin' la Vida Loca

mines2000

Use Bar code producer....It creates a wide range of Bar Codes including the QR...

David

thanks, I'll check it out.
Livin' la Vida Loca

beermonster

desighned and printed an envelope with a qr code on about a year or so ago - no feed back as to whether it was a success but the code worked fine. i just did an online one - which is of no use so i'll fcuk the shut up
Leave me here in my - stark raving sick sad little world

Joe

I'm getting a lot of the QR codes on stuff we print. Most are 4 color black and fuzzy as hell but I'm sure that is desinger magic. Don't know if they work OK or not.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.