News:

Main Menu

WTF Text

Started by zacgil, March 23, 2015, 02:31:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe

OK, I guess there are two different Kalinga fonts. The one by MS and then the freeware one in your PDF. Pitstop does not flag it for not having the outline or embedding license but still...freeware = bad.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

David

microsoft can't even display their own fonts...
here is what it should look like.
Sadly, they coulda used helvetica or arial...
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

Joe

Quote from: david on March 31, 2015, 11:14:05 AMmicrosoft can't even display their own fonts...

Yeah the one from Microsoft is an Indian font and not the one in the PDF. The one in the PDF is a crappy freeware font and yeah, why would anyone use that since every computer on the planet has arial and/or helvetica.

zacgil

Quote from: Joe on March 31, 2015, 11:16:11 AM
Quote from: david on March 31, 2015, 11:14:05 AMmicrosoft can't even display their own fonts...

Yeah the one from Microsoft is an Indian font and not the one in the PDF. The one in the PDF is a crappy freeware font and yeah, why would anyone use that since every computer on the planet has arial and/or helvetica.
Because they are "Special"...... and unique and original.  Might as well use some obscure web fonts that no one has ever seen before.  Maybe there's a reason for that?
 :drunk3: :drunk3:
I am a punky, sophisticated lesbian (or something similar).

zacgil

The other question is, how do you guys deal with these freeware, problem-prone fonts?

If you don't catch them before the press, are they responsible for replating/press down time?  

Joe

Quote from: zacgil on March 31, 2015, 11:34:52 AMThe other question is, how do you guys deal with these freeware, problem-prone fonts?

If you don't catch them before the press, are they responsible for replating/press down time?

I ran your pages through Prinergy 6.1. No problems on the full res VPS or the plate files output at 2400 dpi 150 LS.

Hopefully we catch them in prepress. If not there hopefully the plate person will see it. If not there the pressman should catch it. If it is missed by all of those there is hell to pay.

Screenshot attached of the plate files from Photoshop:

zacgil

Hmmm, so updating our software could fix some of these issues?

The other issue may be that I am trying to pick up the pieces from night shift.  So the file I sent you could have been a revised file.  I have very little info besides the final product, when the error occured.  

Joe

Well I can't guarantee an upgrade will solve it 100% of the time as we still very rarely see that issue but it does pop up every now and then. I will say I've never had one come out on plate that the full res VPS didn't show the issue also.

Farabomb

This is why I may bitch about my pressmen bothering me about every little thing but it means they care and are really looking at what they are producing.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         â€”Benjamin Franklin

My other job

David

guess what I got today...
this is from our Prinergy Super Admins...

quote from an email:
QuoteWe have had some font issues with a couple of different sites and wanted to make everyone aware. It is possible that  you have already had to deal with this but we wanted to make you aware of a way to catch any known fonts. Converting the fonts to outlines generally fixes the problem, but catching it before plating can be problematic.

The symptoms appear only at a high resolution or when a file is rotated. The files look fine when proofed normally either to a printer or vps.  The only way to catch the problem is to either rotate the file and/or proof at 1200dpi or higher.

These fonts are "free" which is why customers are using them. I think the fonts were really created for Web use, but work their way into print. If you create or modify your existing Preflight profile to "error" when encountering the font will give you a chance to catch them. Right now I'm only aware of 5 that have caused us problems. Please let us know if you have experienced any others not listed. Attached is a screen shot of a preflight profile.

Fonts: Segoe, Kalinga, Amatic, Kartika, Boswell
Livin' la Vida Loca

zacgil

Quote from: david on April 03, 2015, 10:41:06 AMguess what I got today...

quote from an email:
QuoteWe have had some font issues with a couple of different sites and wanted to make everyone aware. It is possible that  you have already had to deal with this but we wanted to make you aware of a way to catch any known fonts. Converting the fonts to outlines generally fixes the problem, but catching it before plating can be problematic.

The symptoms appear only at a high resolution or when a file is rotated. The files look fine when proofed normally either to a printer or vps.  The only way to catch the problem is to either rotate the file and/or proof at 1200dpi or higher.

These fonts are "free" which is why customers are using them. I think the fonts were really created for Web use, but work their way into print. If you create or modify your existing Preflight profile to "error" when encountering the font will give you a chance to catch them. Right now I'm only aware of 5 that have caused us problems. Please let us know if you have experienced any others not listed. Attached is a screen shot of a preflight profile.

Fonts: Segoe, Kalinga, Amatic, Kartika, Boswell
Oh thanks Kodak! They are just so helpful.... :strangle:

Joe

Quote from: david on April 03, 2015, 10:41:06 AMguess what I got today...

:wtf: is a Prinergy Super Admin?

David

those are the ones at QG that are way more into Prinergy than I am.
I am just a Prinergy Lead, so I do not dictate the rules.

I just thought it was weird that someone else (could possibly be a member here and I don't know it) had the exact same font give them trouble at the same time as the OP here.

que the twilight zone music
Livin' la Vida Loca

Joe

Oh I thought it was someone at Kodak that gave themselves the title. :rotf:

Anyhoo...Kodak put a memo out about those kinds of fonts a few moths ago though I don't think Kalinga was specifically mentioned at that time. I do know Kodak "people" lurk here. :peep:  Not sure about QG other than yourself though.