Color Copiers

Started by Tracy, January 15, 2016, 01:02:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Farabomb

Because their head is a permanent resident in their colon.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Made in Taiwan

The only way to get conventional offset printing more profitable for short run stuff like business cards and flyers is gang run printing. The quality surely won't be the best but usually 99% of the customers can accept this because it's cheap. Is anybody doing gang run printing here, by the way?
Working in Prepress is very difficult. God chose only the best to do this job.

andyfest

Quote from: Made in Taiwan on January 26, 2016, 05:00:59 AMThe only way to get conventional offset printing more profitable for short run stuff like business cards and flyers is gang run printing. The quality surely won't be the best but usually 99% of the customers can accept this because it's cheap. Is anybody doing gang run printing here, by the way?
We print a lot of plastic plant tags. Depending on the die we run up to 244 different tags on a 244 position die on a 40 inch sheet, printed face & flip side.
Retired - CS6 on my 2012 gen MacBook Pro

Ear

Gang run for small stuff is typically more hassle than it's worth, due to scheduling. Good luck getting 10 clients that want to print their business card at the same time.

I did have a client who was a designer/broker and offered gang print services to his clients. He would then pre impose on GTO sized 13x19. But a GTO is a small press, for offset. I guess it was easier for him to get them all on board at once. I got no time for that.

Digital presses are perfect for these tiny runs, and you don't have to sweat coordinating a gang run.
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

born2print

Not to mention, all of them need to want the same stock
Those days are gone forever
I should just let them go but...

Ear

"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

David

isn't all paper the same?
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

Farabomb

Whenever someone here asks what kind of paper my answer is always white.

The loader here thinks SWOP means some white old paper.

Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Joe

Quote from: david on January 28, 2016, 07:46:11 AMisn't all paper the same?

It all comes from trees so yes.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Slappy

A little diddie 'bout black 'n cyan...two reflective colors doin' the best they can.

David

Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

Made in Taiwan

The gang run printers here have only around 5 or so different paper stocks for each item and yes, they have plenty of work to feed a whole bunch of big presses. Their delivery time for flyers and business cards is usually within one day, maximum two days, if you need additional  services like folding etc. But Taiwan is a small island, so for them, work might be easier to get.
Working in Prepress is very difficult. God chose only the best to do this job.

delooch

Quote from: Slappy on January 28, 2016, 05:20:32 PM
Quote from: david on January 28, 2016, 07:46:11 AMisn't all paper the same?
#AllPaperMatters

pure white, blue whites, and cream whites.  we're all pink on the inside.

Farabomb

Related story. The first shop I worked at there were 4 people in prepress and 3 workers. The 4th was the boss's son so he'd be surfing all day and throwing a nerf ball at us from time to time. So it was me the FNG, one quiet dude and another that spent all his free time there looking at craigslist at the hooker ads.

The quiet dude happened to be a swinger with his wife so mondays were story day. Since QG lived an hour and a half away he finally found a new shop closer to his house so he gave his 2 weeks. While we lamented the loss of story day we decided that we are throwing him a going away party... at the local shit pit strip club. This place was located in a old bowling alley right next to the GSP. If you're ever in Jersey rolling up to the Union toll look to the left and you'll see a RV parked behind a building. That's the club and god knows what goes down in that RV. One of the girls was arrested for having a severed human hand that she got from one of the regulars. I move over to the left lane just in case some of the weapons grade VD happens to be airborne.

You can't serve booze and be all nude in NJ. You can bring in coolers full of booze but that can't serve it. This place has a liquor store in the parking lot, convenient. So it's quitting time on his last day and everyone heads to the shitpit. Since I work overlap I still have 2 more hours to go. I'm debating actually going, strip clubs aren't my thing and I have the internet. Then I get a call from the brotherboss saying I have to get down there, everyone is asking where I am. Fuckit, might as well. I pay my $20 to get crabs and go in. We have basically taken over most of the place so I place my ass in pervert's row and grab a beer. This place is dark for a reason, this is not top shelf local talent. More like bush league than the majors. I'm 2 or 3 beers in when the next dancer comes out. She's a not half bad looking sista and like a good stripper makes a bee line to our drunk mess.

So were sitting there and she starts gyrating her ladybits in our general direction and quiet guy looks over and starts staring. Everything looked proper, nothing out of the ordinary but he's entranced. I open another beer for him and hand it to him and it breaks the spell... kinda. Beer in hand he's back in Medusa's gaze frozen. I finally ask him what the fuck is so interesting up there. He turns to me and wipers "we really are all pink inside". I loose it, the girl overhears it and starts laughing. This has earned him a private dance with her on me.

Prepressers are a weird bunch.

—Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Ear