Performance evaluations

Started by andyfest, June 28, 2016, 10:49:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

andyfest

So the corporate entity is rolling out performance evaluations for the first time and want us to set some goals/accomplishments over the next year. I'm kind of stuck because we are already at our "peak" using old software/hardware (Nexus 10.1.3/OS X 10.8 + 12 year old Screen 8600 tied to a Windows 2000 tif catcher) and have been given no budget or timelines for upgrades. I've had two Esko technical experts in to see us over the past few years to see if we can improve or gain efficiencies with what we have and both said "No - you are doing all you can with what you have...". 95% + jobs received have either soft or hard copy proofs out same day and our mistake ratio is about 1 per 1500 jobs right now. Not sure what to tell them in my meeting.....any ideas?......anyone? 
Retired - CS6 on my 2012 gen MacBook Pro

Farabomb

Bring a copy of Office Space to watch?
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         â€”Benjamin Franklin

My other job

born2print

cost reduction?
no OT
lay-off
get better pricing on consumables
energy savings bulbs / devices
add capabilities / reduce buyouts
???
good luck, it's hard to improve when you already kick ass - Confucius
How will I laugh tomorrow...
when I can't even smile today?

Foozball

My biggest tip for dealing with corporate evaluations:
Start off light with 1 or 2 unimportant things, let them grade you (always lower than you deserve), but then ask them what they consider to be "an A or A+ performance" and ask for an example ...  

Then I'd release the krakken, starting with:
Quote from: andyfest on June 28, 2016, 10:49:41 AMour mistake ratio is about 1 per 1500 jobs right now.

That there is an A grade performance, combined with:
Quote from: andyfest on June 28, 2016, 10:49:41 AM95% + jobs received have either soft or hard copy proofs out same day... 
Hey congratulations, you're an A+ employee!!!
:banana:

Possum

How about, "we have this performance ratio, which I believe is remarkable, considering our limitations." They've almost gotta ask "what limitations?" That's when you can put in something about your outdated software and what-have-you. Don't forget to add that the manufacturers' reps have told you that you're doing the best you can with what you have.
Tall tree, short ropes, fix stupid.

Tracy

That's a really nice way of saying "We need an upgrade"!!

andyfest

Thanks guys and gals. It's really another example of how corporate and production know nothing when it comes to prepress and the skills required. We just have to push a button right? There is NEVER a thank-you and the only time we do hear from anyone is that 1500th job when we screw up. Not really looking forward to this, but it's a must-do.
Retired - CS6 on my 2012 gen MacBook Pro

Joe

Set some goals/accomplishments over the next year: Maintain our production, efficiency, and quality from previous years. This can only be accomplished with new software and hardware updates.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Farabomb

No, since they are presently doing it they will want a 5% increase with 2 less staff and the existing equipment.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         â€”Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Foozball

Quote from: andyfest on June 28, 2016, 01:40:13 PMThere is NEVER a thank-you and the only time we do hear from anyone is that 1500th job when we screw up.
Well here's a "Pump up" song for your pre-review time:
(Audio is NSFW)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rf27iXZOfrI
Think of it as YOUR song for all the correct jobs ... and lay it 1499 times straight as a tribute to your awesomeness! ROCK ON!