Preps 6 multiple sigs question

Started by whamboozeled, October 30, 2014, 06:37:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

whamboozeled

Hi all I have been lurking for awhile and have been reading about preps 6.
I am kinda confused about only 1 sig per template that some people are talking about.
I am currently using preps 5.3 and for our web business form presses we have multiple sigs in 1 template
Example:
Sig 1a is used for the top Black
Sig 2a is used for top Cyan
Sig 3a is used for top Mag & Yellow
Sig 4b is used for backs.
All have different distance to punch starting points.
Is something like this possible in preps 6?

Joe

I'm not sure I am following. In Preps 5.3 you have a template file with a .tpl extension at the end. Inside of it you can have multiple impositions. An imposition would contain the signature for all colors. You don't have a different signature for each color do you?

Let me try to explain. In Preps 5 in your template editor you open a template file. You can edit any or all of the impositions contained inside the template. Lets say you have a template file that when opened you can see impo A, impo B and impos C. If you save the template it will still contain impo A, impo B, and impo C. Life is good.

Now in Preps 6 you go to your template file in the left column and double click it and under it you will see an entry for each imposition contained in the template file. Double clicking one of them (lets assume you want to edit impo A so you double click impo A) will open that imposition in the editor where you can edit it. Once you make your edits and you tell it to "Save As a Template" you give it the same name as the old template in the same location and it will ask you if you want to overwrite the existing file with the same name and you say YES...BOOM! You have just deleted impo B and impo C because the "Save As Template" only saved the one you were editing in the editor. Now you can save a template with multiple impositions in Preps 6 you would have to had double clicked impo A and added it into the editor, double clicked impo B to add it into a new sheet, and finally double clicked impo C to add it into a new sheet. Once you have added all of your existing impositions into the editor that you want to keep you can edit the one that needed changes and then "Save As Template", give it the same name and overwrite the existing file and then you would have successfully saved a tempalte with multiple impositions using Preps 6. This will become quite cumbersome if you have templates with many impositions. Hence you are better off making Preps 6 contain only one imposition per template file.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Joe

And by the way...welcome to the forum.

Syphon

Our shop STILL have not given me the time to go through the Preps 6 videos and training material to learn. Six months gone by and now training a kid makes it unlike I get around to it anytime soon.
Freelance Designer | Illustrator | Photo Editor
iMac • Mac OSX 10.15 Catalina
Affinity Publisher • Affinity Photo • Affinity Designer
Adobe InDesign • Adobe Photoshop • Adobe Illustrator
Adobe Acrobat

whamboozeled

whamboozeled

Quote from: Joe on October 30, 2014, 07:35:12 PMIYou don't have a different signature for each color do you?

Not all the time, but yes.
On web presses there isn't a traditional gripper margin. You just have to make sure copy doesn't go into the gap.
So if there is copy say in Black close to the head of the piece but not at the foot you have to push the Black starting position back away from the gap.
Some colors may be close to the foot, so you have to move them up.
I hope this makes sense.

Ear

I'm no longer using Preps but I did until recently. I work at a web shop... Mercury, Harris and Hantscho, multi web forms.... sheetfed too.

There are better ways to strip and define page margins, prep the PDF, etc... so you don't have to do odd things like that. My Harris cutoff, for instance, is 22.75" with a .75" gap. I impose to center in 11.375 pages with .375" minimum outer margin. Work from center of the sheet for web, as opposed to gripper on sheetfed. If you do that, you don't have to worry about gap, just know your max distance from center and you're solid.

And for jobs like you are talking about, I make the PDF is designed properly, RIP the entire thing process and just selectively release the seps that are needed. I do have jobs like that, weekly. CMYK on side1, KY on side 2, K only on 3&4, etc... And that was on my old rip. The new rips, like XMF, are usually smart enough to know when there is no color on a side/sep.
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

Joe

Quote from: whamboozeled on October 31, 2014, 02:49:29 PM
Quote from: Joe on October 30, 2014, 07:35:12 PMIYou don't have a different signature for each color do you?

Not all the time, but yes.
On web presses there isn't a traditional gripper margin. You just have to make sure copy doesn't go into the gap.
So if there is copy say in Black close to the head of the piece but not at the foot you have to push the Black starting position back away from the gap.
Some colors may be close to the foot, so you have to move them up.
I hope this makes sense.

Not at all but hey if it makes sense to you that is all that matters. ;D

Ear

"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

whamboozeled

So do you think this would be possible in preps 6?
Or would it be way to time consuming?

Ear

Preps into what RIP? Prinergy? or....

Joe

Quote from: whamboozeled on October 31, 2014, 03:06:51 PMSo do you think this would be possible in preps 6?
Or would it be way to time consuming?

I'm still confused so I don't know. Still trying to wrap my head around how your individual separations are in different position.

But if you have multiple impositions in a template file, yes you can do that in Preps 6 but I don't recommend it for the reasons I stated above.

Ear

Ok. I don't know Rampage but I assume you preflight in Rampage, then go out to Preps for imposition and back to Rampage for final rendering? At which point you release plates to either a tiff catcher or directly to the platesetter?

With my old, slow RIP, I used to micro-manage seps out of Preps but my current workflow is silly fast and it takes the same amount of time to just render mixed color jobs as process and selectively release side seps to the tiff catcher.

It really depends on the RIP, not Preps so much. I wish Corn was here, he knows Rampage. I think DCS does too.

And I agree with Joe about the position thing, don't understand why position changes. I do have jobs that are 4/1 + 4/4 + 2/1, multi web, but the pages are all in the same position, relative to each other. Again, working off center and knowing where the cutoff and gap are.

whamboozeled

Quote from: Joe on October 31, 2014, 03:20:08 PMI'm still confused so I don't know. Still trying to wrap my head around how your individual separations are in different position.

On webs they can rotate their cylinders so copy in different starting positions match up.

Thanks for all your help, I guess I will be staying with 5.3.