Multi Imposition

Started by K3NS4N, August 02, 2015, 12:40:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe

Here is the way Preps paginates. Compare the numbers here to his original post. He wants the pages to output differently than what Preps does automagically. He wants the low folios on all fronts to be 1-3-5-7 and not 1-5-9-13

[attachimg=1 width=400]
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Ear

Right, the original is paginated as multi-web imposition of a 32page run. Not as multiple 8 pagers.

If it is indeed as multiple runs, on a sheetfed, I would still just paginate in multi-web mode, if trying to achieve this sort of thing.
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

Joe

His numbers don't even match my 32 page multi-web impo. I need to know whereto this is a saddle-stitch or what before I know if I can make it happen in Preps.

Lyzan

It is a multi-web (4-webs) imposition. Either use a fold pattern (easy way) or number manually a 4-web multi-web imposition base on the folding dummy.

Lyzan

I don't have my Preps anymore, but it's almost the same with XMF.

Joe

If it is multi-web for a web press where the impo is numbered 1-32 I can number it and make it work. If it is four 8 page sections for sheetfed using one template numbered 1-8 is where I'm not having much luck. The OP needs to give more info.

Ear

I agree, the OP needs to give more info. All impositions are possible, you just have to get creative sometimes and it helps to understand how your impo software thinks. Sometimes you need to trick it into doing what you want, if it is unorthodox.
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

Joe

Agreed. Worse come to worse do it as flat work single sided to make the pages come out as you want.

K3NS4N

This is a template using 120 pages.

Joe

Quote from: K3NS4N on August 04, 2015, 04:34:48 PMThis is a template using 120 pages.

Looking at your job file I think the best way to do this is what you are already doing though you are having to do everything twice. Preps doesn't seem to have a way on multi-sheet or multi-web impos to modify where the pages land...meaning I don't think Preps can do what you showed in your original post. For example if you try to number the front of your first sheet and 1-16-17-32 Preps thinks it is a 32 page section instead of an 8 page section. The only way to be able to make it an 8 page section is to number the front 1-4-5-8 and then the pages will not fall the way you want them to.

Can I ask why you need them to output like you original post shows? It seems a little odd you would want them that way but I'm guessing you have a good reason for it. I'd just like to know what it is.

By the way...welcome to the forum.

Lyzan

Quote from: K3NS4N on August 04, 2015, 04:34:48 PMThis is a template using 120 pages.

First, I do not understand why would you do a 120pp multi-web imposition. Are you trying to cut-and-stack the pages?

/Lyzan

Joe

Ahhh yes...I hadn't thought about a Cut and Stack. Here is a .job file for the 32 pager from the first post of this thread where the pages are coming out like you wanted as shown in the screen shots. Not sure how it became 120 pages but I assume the same principle would apply. With a Cut and Stack you can number the press run any way you please.

jymmys

K3NS4N

Quote from: Joe on August 04, 2015, 10:37:07 PMAhhh yes...I hadn't thought about a Cut and Stack. Here is a .job file for the 32 pager from the first post of this thread where the pages are coming out like you wanted as shown in the screen shots. Not sure how it became 120 pages but I assume the same principle would apply. With a Cut and Stack you can number the press run any way you please.

Could you explicate how did this?

Joe

I changed the job from Saddle-Stitch to cut and Stack and then I used the numbering tool to manually enter the page numbers into each individual Press Run per your image in your original post.