News:

Main Menu

New Work Laptop

Started by Farabomb, April 24, 2015, 08:56:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Farabomb

Well it's coming time where 10.6.8 is getting a bit long in the tooth. I can't run Pitstop 13 and I see more software issues coming. The Mac Pro tower will still have to be here for running everything, I don't see us upgrading the whole RIP as we are still on preps 5.

I'm going to pitch a new laptop to the boss. I have a good chance I'll get it. My question is what one to go for. Obviously, the biggest, best display, best card, ect. Macbook pro is what comes to mind but in reality, what should I get?

I expect memory and better vid card would be best but do I really need a retina display?

I'm pitching it as my home/work laptop. Yes I can do jobs through remote desktop but it's not optimal. This would allow me to use my Adobe programs I have here legally on the laptop and just pass the files through FTP or dropbox Instead of waiting for the cursor to respond like I'm working on a quadra.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

David

My 17" mac book pro works like a champ. No retina display, I'm not that picky about that.
I've swapped out the hard drive for a larger one, but other than that, I'm happy with it.
of course, more ram is a must.
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

Farabomb

I can't even find a 17in one anymore. I have to stick to new or factory refurb.

Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

wonderings

There is no 17" MacBook Pro anymore, unless you are going used. If you are going the Retina MacBook Pro, get the most ram you can as you cannot upgrade it after. I would max it out at 16 gigs. The retina screen makes a HUGE difference. I could not imagine going to anything less then a retina screen. I am using a 5k iMac at work and love love love the screen. Basically once you buy your MacBook Pro, thats it, you cannot upgrade anything, so get the most ram, best GPU, best processor, biggest SSD that your budget allows.

Farabomb

It's the Boss's budget, not mine.  :dev2:

—Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Joe

Yeah, budget and NEW Macbook Pro with the most ram, best GPU, best processor, biggest SSD shouldn't be in the same sentence. But if you are buying a new Macbook Pro you would be wise to spend the extra up front because there is no upgrading after the fact.

If you can find a good used 17" Macbook Pro (latest model released was late 2008 I think) it will run OS X 10.10.3. But used can be risky. It will still cost twice as much as  a new PC laptop.

Might be a stupid idea but if you just want it for both home and work and not be wanting to fire it up at the campsite you could just get a Mac mini. It's easy enough to unplug at work and take it home assuming you have a monitor/keyboard/mouse at both locations to use. Or hell you could buy two of them for the price of the new Macbook Pro's.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Farabomb

Joe, you have a very good point. I intentionally didn't mention the fact that the laptop allows me to be mobile.

Just clicking on some buttons put me north of $3k on the config. FFS, that's the price of a decent used car.

—Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Possum

And you can upgrade the car after you get it.
Tall tree, short ropes, fix stupid.

Joe

Quote from: Possum on April 24, 2015, 12:59:15 PMAnd you can upgrade the car after you get it.

If Apple built it all parts will be soldered/welded in so you can't replace anything. Get a flat tire. Buy a new car. The Apple way!

Farabomb

Alfa 4c has a hood that's welded shut.

Lots of other car manufacturers are trying to get car systems locked down under the DMCA law. Effectively locking out small car shops and car owners from modding/repairing. Apple noticed you can sell a leased device you can't repair (iPhone) and suckers bought them. Now the car companies are trying to do it.

—Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Possum

Quote from: Joe on April 24, 2015, 01:24:39 PM
Quote from: Possum on April 24, 2015, 12:59:15 PMAnd you can upgrade the car after you get it.

If Apple built it all parts will be soldered/welded in so you can't replace anything. Get a flat tire. Buy a new car. The Apple way!
And Apple claims to be a "green" company. Oh, well, we all know Apple can do no wrong.
Tall tree, short ropes, fix stupid.

Joe

Quote from: Possum on April 24, 2015, 03:26:03 PM

And Apple claims to be a "green" company. Oh, well, we all know Apple can do no wrong.

It's no problem to send all of those old electronics to 3rd world countries for disposal. Their lives don't mean anything. But Cupertino is "green".

Ear

Crapertino (said with Beavis voice) heehee
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

wonderings

Quote from: Possum on April 24, 2015, 03:26:03 PM

I hardly think Apple can do no wrong, but really, their products last much longer then any PC I have ever owned. I look at peoples laptops that are 2 years old and they look ready for the trash heap and usually are. They are getting better, but Apple holds its value, the resale is very good.

Farabomb

I have PC laptops going back 10 years, my gaming PC is possibly older and it's still current enough for me. My HP laptop, while having the worlds worst keyboard, is still working perfectly fine. The main reason is because I can upgrade it, something Apple is not a fan of.

I have to replace my perfectly fine mac pro because apple has removed the backwards compatibility needed to run important programs. If I upgrade to the newer OS I have to replace my imposition software and possibly my whole RIP. It's bad enough the cost of them are astronomical but you're not really buying it, more like leasing it.

—Benjamin Franklin

My other job