Anyone working at home also?

Started by kermit, September 10, 2007, 09:27:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kermit

in addition to working in prepress?

I used to do that few years ago. Not anymore.
Rampage JVX, gmg DotProof, Harlequin, Isis, Preps, Pitstop, Full-auto Screen CTP, FinalProof, Epson 98, 48, Hp Z2100, HP 5500 SpinJet, HP 1050c, MassTransit, Rumpus, CommunigatePro, presses

David

wanted to a few years back, but then after 9-11, all the freelance work seemed to dry up.
still do a smidge of stuff for my wife's school (t-shirts and letterheads and stuff).
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

MonkeyBoy

I used to. I did some basic design work for my wife's company and I also did on site training. Been about a year since I did any training but that was the gravy boat for me. $100/hr.
It's also quite a burnout to be working so much in the office then going to do independent stuff. I found wind down time to spend with family and to myself more important.

David

Quote from: MonkeyBoy on September 10, 2007, 11:12:26 AMI found wind down time to spend with family and to myself more important.

same here, it eats up a lot of home time, bent over a keyboard making stupid changes till the crack of dawn for some dink that only knows MS pooplisher.
Livin' la Vida Loca

jezza

Slightly off topic Dave, but how is Beth doing? She went freelance didn't she?
one sick prepress mofo

David

yeah, she got cut loose from here a while back (with a few others). Sad to see them go, I really could use their help, a lot.
but, management has a different view.
Yes, she still does freelancing and she's going to school to get a degree now, haven't chatted with her in a few weeks.

I'll tell her you asked about her.

thanks,
David
Livin' la Vida Loca

Pointyhat

I do! I do! It's a pain but the money is sweet.

David

hey Pointy,
have your freelance jobs dried up a little or do you still get a many jobs as you used to?
Livin' la Vida Loca

Pointyhat

I've had the smame clients for years but it's pretty consistent. I lose one I gain one, I don't like to do a ton, all work and no play makes Pointy mental.

MonkeyBoy

So I say I don't do work on the side anymore and I get a call for consultation. Oh well, $100/hr can't go wrong.

jezza

Just got a brief e-mailed, looks like I'll be working tonight when i get in
one sick prepress mofo

Ear

I do some, usually a couple of biggies a year. I have some serious horsepower at home but I also have a 3 and 6 year old, both boys. It's hard to get stuff done and I really like to spend time with them. I get some consulting gigs too. Mostly CS training and some monitor tweaking, stuff like that. Hey, it's enough to buy a few extra lift tickets a year.
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

Vee

I do as much as I can... it's fairly consistent.
Several jobs a month. Some design, some straight print brokering.
I have a hard time saying no to $$$$. No such thing as enough.. ya know...

Some of the design I pass on to a few students at a local university - pay them $25/hr and charge $50-75.
Work smart - not hard.
It's not the job that's so bad.. it's your attitude.

GO RED SOX!!

jezza

It's the smart bit I keep forgetting about  :-[
one sick prepress mofo

Vee

It's not the job that's so bad.. it's your attitude.

GO RED SOX!!