Anyone working at home also?

Started by kermit, September 10, 2007, 09:27:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jezza

Cheers Vee, it feels like it sometimes though  ;)
one sick prepress mofo

ninjaPB_43

I started my own graphic design company last summer, I would rather watch TV.   When I get home from my prepress job, the last thing I want to do is be creative and design..   yea the money is sweet and I do,  do it, when I have the work, I dont turn any down..   but I cuss them the whole time while I lay it out..     >:(  (kidding)

Im still trying to figure out whether or not I want to stay in prepress or go design full time, I cant do the design full time though until wifey finishes school.   I'd say I do about 10-15 jobs a year.  What's really fun is when I get to do the prepress on my own files..   I swear that asshole cannot setup files correctly worth a shit. 

:ninja:
People will notice the change in your attitude towards them, but won't notice their behavior that made you change.  -Bob Marley

delooch

not anymore.. I started just doing freelance work, which seemed to be "feast or famine" it was more of a hobby than anything, but apparently people liked it and wanted to give me money, so i took it. Now im so tired of sitting in front of a pc all day i dont even touch mine at home, unless im playing a 3d shooter or email.. every now and then i take on a freelance job, i try not to make a habit of it though.

Sparky

I do quite a bit of freelancing, consulting, photography, and anything else conected to the trade, with several customers I have met from my last position.
Most of it's general layout and preflighting. My customers send me "Word files" and I bring everything into InDesign, PDF everything and prep for printing so all I send to the printer is the final PDF. I do a lot of .ftp transfers using Fetch.
The extra work helps when I want to think about toys for Daddy  ;D
"No well engineered plan survives contact with reality"

prepress_goddess

yep - working with a big client, the hope is that they will contract me full time and i can work from home and upload files to a friendly printer for proofing, jump a plane for press check and be home in time for dinner

much easier with your own files being produced than the "M" files you get to work into your schedule

money is much better, just wish it were more reliable from month to month
publisher, word and excel - OH MY!

kermit

Quote from: Sparky on September 16, 2007, 10:42:41 AMwhen I want to think about toys for Daddy  ;D

what kind of toys do you like?
Rampage JVX, gmg DotProof, Harlequin, Isis, Preps, Pitstop, Full-auto Screen CTP, FinalProof, Epson 98, 48, Hp Z2100, HP 5500 SpinJet, HP 1050c, MassTransit, Rumpus, CommunigatePro, presses

pspdfppdfxhd

dumb question for Sparky (I just joined today).... did you find a new job or are you doing freelance exclusively?

Just wondering is all.........

Sparky

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on September 27, 2007, 09:48:44 AMdumb question for Sparky (I just joined today).... did you find a new job or are you doing freelance exclusively?

Just wondering is all.........

Sorry for the delay, pspdfppdfx, I don't get in here as much as before. Yes I found another job, but not doing prepress. I now run a Presstek 34DI 4/color offset press. Interesting though I spent the first 35 years of my career on the other side of the fence doing design, photography, layout, and prepress work, all the while being taught to hate pressmen because they could do justice to our work and so on and so forth, and now I r one ::)

I still do a great deal of freelance at home but with a new eye on things, from a press end aspect. my press out puts at 300lpi and FM (stochastic) screening as well, so I've had to rethink the dpi values of my work and have seen my files grow in size as well. But I still am able to get around OK with a 2gb memory stick and have helped many folks establish and use the .ftp sites available for file transfer.
"No well engineered plan survives contact with reality"

born2print

Seems like all of my "freelance" is really "free" work for friends. Well, sometimes it's for trade, but I rarely ever get paid, unless you count that I ask for a finished shirt (or whatever) for payment.
Do you charge friends money for logo design and form creation?
How will I laugh tomorrow...
when I can't even smile today?

gnubler

No, I never charge friends for work, both print and web. But they understand that their project cannot take first place if I'm busy with real work. Usually doing work for friends is fun stuff anyway...personal projects and such. Most people I've done free work for have taken me out to dinner or bought be some beer. Fine with me!
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

Vee

I don't work for free. Sorry...
IMO a "friend" would offer to pay.

It's not the job that's so bad.. it's your attitude.

GO RED SOX!!

duck

I still do some work from home.

Funny story from a couple weeks ago, I was on vacation in SoCal when a client called and need her job printed ASAP.  I called the shop I work for here and told them to deal with her direct and get everything done for her...

I forgot that the quote I gave her was based on a price another shop had given me.  Needless to say, I made no $$ on that one and the owner was not too happy with me.  At least they were aware of my home business from before I was re-hired, so I didn't get fired again or anything.  For future reference, if you send a job to your employer, make sure that it's where you got the quote from and where you meant to send it...

I think I need to start charging Jalan's hourly rate though.
For those who bend over and take it hard daily
to ensure that the client's half-assed problem files
get fixed, processed, printed and sent out
so it can make it to the end user's trash can
on time and with no errors.

gnubler

Quote from: Vee on October 16, 2007, 02:48:13 PMI don't work for free. Sorry...

IMO, "friends" help each other out here and there. I guess if everyone I knew suddenly all needed design work done, I'd have to draw the line. But to do a project once in a while to help somebody out - why not? Karma, dude!
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

Vee

Quote from: gnubler on October 16, 2007, 05:15:44 PM
Quote from: Vee on October 16, 2007, 02:48:13 PMI don't work for free. Sorry...

IMO, "friends" help each other out here and there. I guess if everyone I knew suddenly all needed design work done, I'd have to draw the line. But to do a project once in a while to help somebody out - why not? Karma, dude!
Don't get me wrong. I agree 100% about helping each other out.
But I also know if I had a friend who I needed help from, I'd offer to pay them without a doubt.
In turn, I'd expect the same respect from the people I call friends.
If I knew they were broke, or depending on the details - I may very well insist they did not pay.. to help out.

It's not the job that's so bad.. it's your attitude.

GO RED SOX!!

born2print

Thanks a bunch for the feedback gang,

Good to see you Vee, you been busy elsewhere?
How will I laugh tomorrow...
when I can't even smile today?