Creative Cloud 2015: Upgrade that Mac!

Started by Syphon, March 18, 2015, 07:10:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syphon

So the rumors are true! 
The upcoming new Creative Cloud 2015 requires that you have a Mac running Mavericks 10.9 or Yosemite 10.10.
Boy, my bosses are going to have a heart attack!
Bought a refurbished iMac last year with Mountain Lion 10.8 and just upgraded an 2009 iMac to Mountain Lion just because management doesn't want to go all in with upgrading our crapping old system (server, etc). They just don't want to spend any money these days. They have always been this way.

Since I have a new iMac running Yosemite at home, maybe I can convince them to let me work at home. 

Link to Adobe Blog
Freelance Designer | Illustrator | Photo Editor
iMac • Mac OSX 10.15 Catalina
Affinity Publisher • Affinity Photo • Affinity Designer
Adobe InDesign • Adobe Photoshop • Adobe Illustrator
Adobe Acrobat

Joe

If it can run Mountain Lion it can run Yosemite. Plus it is free. Your Prinergy 5.1 is not going to like Mavericks or Yosemite though.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

Slappy

Same at our place, they even bought another cheesegrater recently cause they thought it was a bargain! So now we have 4 machines that can't update past 10.7 - this should be fun!  :banghead:
A little diddie 'bout black 'n cyan...two reflective colors doin' the best they can.

wonderings

Yosemite has been the glitchiest OS Apple has released in a long time. I am really surprised that they are dropping support for anything past 10.9.

Ear

I miss OS9.2. I sometimes sit here and daydream of using Chooser to change devices, chat rooms on Netscape... I digress...
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

Joe

Quote from: wonderings on March 20, 2015, 02:12:42 PMYosemite has been the glitchiest OS Apple has released in a long time. I am really surprised that they are dropping support for anything past 10.9.

I use Yosemite daily. Doesn't seem glitchy to me.

wonderings

Quote from: Joe on March 20, 2015, 02:20:36 PM
Quote from: wonderings on March 20, 2015, 02:12:42 PMYosemite has been the glitchiest OS Apple has released in a long time. I am really surprised that they are dropping support for anything past 10.9.

I use Yosemite daily. Doesn't seem glitchy to me.

Random Safari crashes. The wifi dropping was fixed with 10.10.2, as well as the bluetooth dropping. I randomly have my desktop folders and icons disappear. Mail prints strangely to our office printer, Xerox DC260. Will print just the email sender and subject on page one and the rest of the email on page 2 with attachment. Also the text can be super small when printed from Apple mail. It is not consistent, some things print fine, others do not. Happens on more then 1 machine. I love the look of Yosemite and some of the features, but it is buggy, plenty of threads on mac forums and Apple Support forums. It is without question the best looking OS Apple has come out with. Just waiting on a few updates to get the rest of this sorted.

Joe

I am not seeing any issues like that. Just wondering if you did the in-pace upgrade from the previous version or a clean install. I always do the clean install to avoid stuff like that. Out with the old...in with the new.

Tracy

dang it!
I have Lion can I update it to Yosemite?

Joe

Depends on what Mac you have. If it is a mid 2008 or later yes you can. I just did one last week here at work.

wonderings

Quote from: Joe on March 20, 2015, 03:07:12 PMI am not seeing any issues like that. Just wondering if you did the in-pace upgrade from the previous version or a clean install. I always do the clean install to avoid stuff like that. Out with the old...in with the new.

It happens on a clean install on my 5k iMac, it happens on my updated install on my Retina MacBook Pro, it happens on an updated 27" iMac and a clean install 21" iMac. I still work on this OS, and the only reason I installed it on the other machines was that it gave me no trouble for a month when I was testing it out in production on my machine. It does not render any of these machines unusable by any means, they are just annoying bugs that are not usually associated with OS X.

Tracy

Quote from: Joe on March 24, 2015, 02:38:17 PMDepends on what Mac you have. If it is a mid 2008 or later yes you can. I just did one last week here at work.
Mine's mid 2011 
I may need help, never upgraded an OS before
do you know when Adobe will be requiring this?

Joe

With the next version of Creative Cloud.

It is fairly easy Tracy. You open up The App Store on your Mac. Click the Updates button and there will be a big banner at the top for OS X Yosemite and you click the button. It will download the OS and then launch the installer after it has downloaded the very large file (almost 5 gb). It will install the OS and reboot a couple of times and when it is done you will be all set to go. It does an in-place upgrade and most of your applications will still work. With Creative Cloud all I had to do was to log in again and everything worked. I've done this for several iMacs the last couple of weeks (from 2008 iMacs through a new 2013 iMac) and haven't had any issues with any of them.

A couple of notes though...when Adobe does release the next version of CC you do not have to install it and if it is like the last major update it will leave the previous version intact if you do but you won't be able to install it unless you are running OS X 10.9.x or 10.10.x. In your case I would not update until you are sure the XMF client will work in Yosemite. And any other software you use on your Mac.

Diddler

Quote from: Joe on March 26, 2015, 10:11:29 AMI would not update until you are sure the XMF client will work in Yosemite. And any other software you use on your Mac.
I have seen XMF run Yosemite and it seemed to be OK for the brief time i played with it. But officially Fuji here in Oz will not support it at the moment.
You can't polish a Turd, but you can roll it in glitter!

Tracy

Thanks! Bookmarking and I will put in a call to fuji