News:

Main Menu

Center Marks

Started by DigiCorn, September 12, 2011, 11:46:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DigiCorn

In Preps-Plus 6, I will strip a new template and set center marks to a size of 0.0" and do not apply fold marks. Then I apply crop marks and I get fold/center marks. I remove all marks and then reapply crop marks and the second time the center/fold marks do not appear, as I wanted.  :wtf: Why do I have to do it this way to get what I intended?
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

t-pat

if you don't want fold marks at all, go to preferences/marks/ fold mark length = 0
I have mine set to .0625. They will always appear on saddle stitched or perfect bound impositions or things based on saddle stitched or perfect bound folding patterns.

You can go ahead and make a smart mark just for fold marks too if you want to apply them manually on a case-by-case situation.
vdp donkey
gmc inspire • sarcasm while you wait

t-pat

also, center marks are not fold marks - so setting center marks to zero will get you no center marks. Fold marks are well for folding not for determining center of the sheet, they are bound to the fold and will be at the actual fold regardless of the imposition being centered on the sheet and regardless of creep. Very helpful for the folder operator or pressman running former-folder as they usually cannot see the crop marks.
vdp donkey

DigiCorn

I DO have my preferences default set to 0. And I know that the center marks and fold marks are different, but on a digital job, I don't want either - they always end up in the work due to the smaller sheet size. So even when I don't select them, and the default is at zero, I get both until I remove them and then re-add just crop marks alone. Even if I save the template after I have removed them, they come back when I strip the next job using that template. I don't get it. What am I doing wrong?
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

t-pat

ummm is it an old Preps 5 template?

edit - I re-read your post, I don't know wtf it is. In XMPie land right now but will definitely look at it later. Maybe send me the template and I'll see if I can recreate it?
vdp donkey

t-pat

also what happens when you change your fold mark preferences to say 1" or .0001"? does it change? Does it retain the change next time you use the template? is it just the one template?
vdp donkey

t-pat

dammit now its doing it to me, it wasn't before  :huh:
vdp donkey

DigiCorn

Quote from: t-pat on September 12, 2011, 01:38:22 PMdammit now its doing it to me, it wasn't before  :huh:
:lmao:

Nope. Not an old P5. Stripped fresh and new in 6. It happens on all templates. Makes no difference about fold mark preference size.

Sorry to say I'm glad I'm not the only one with this issue.
― Johnny Carson

– Nikki Sixx

― Ernest Hemingway

t-pat

funny thing is that it is NOT happening on my old templates but IS happening on a JDF Folding Pattern template. But I swear, I look at this stuff explicitly to make sure, and I have a smartmark I made for folds, it's .0625 long, prints in K only and is dotted. The ones that are showing up are baffling me too. Let me play with a live job later when I get one and I'll report back. I know I don't have to remove them and re-add marks though.
vdp donkey

Syphon

I have a question on putting a center mark in Preps 6.
For some reason, when I use a JDF work and turn folding pattern, it does not show a center mark to indicate the center of the sheet.
Bindery would like to have a center mark to see the center of the press sheet.
Am I missing something?
Freelance Designer | Illustrator | Photo Editor
iMac • Mac OSX 10.15 Catalina
Affinity Publisher • Affinity Photo • Affinity Designer
Adobe InDesign • Adobe Photoshop • Adobe Illustrator
Adobe Acrobat

Farabomb

Your bindery looks at marks?

Jealous.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job