Rendering Failure on Blank Pages

Started by Holsinger60, January 23, 2015, 11:56:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

frailer

Sorry... late to this.
Any chance a screenshot of your Source Files/Reading Order/Job Structure columns so we can get a bird's eye...?
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

Holsinger60

Here's a couple of screen shots of a job that fails.

Ear

Looks like surface 1 is entirely blank. It can't render nothing. I don't understand why you are trying to render nothing. ???
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

Holsinger60

Yes. The surface for Sheet 1 Front is Blank. There is only printing on the Back surface. I inserted a "Blank Page" in my Reading Order as a placeholder. When I hit "Save", the error pops up saying there are Blank Surfaces (I've attached a Screen Shot). It tries to Render the Blank Pages along with the ones that actually have printing. I don't see where I can pick and choose what surfaces to Render at this point. Maybe I'm missing something. Again, I'm not trying to actually burn blank plates. I'm just trying to render the job so I can burn the plates I need. When it fails like this, it won't let me Release the Separations from the surfaces I'm actually trying to burn plates on. Maybe I'm missing something simple in the process, not explaining myself well enough for anyone to help or just don't have a fahqing clue what I'm doing.

Ear

I know what you're saying, just don't understand why you are even messing with sides that are entirely blank. There are other ways to impose that do not include trying to render blank sides. The problem is that you are trying to render nothing.

I would do it as 2 flat sheets instead of two sheetwise with 2 blank sides. The workflow is doing its job. I don't see the point in even trying to build a blank side, and the workflow obviously thinks this too. You're doing prepress wrong, man. Nothing personal but what you are trying to do makes no sense. Are you just building blank sides so the plates are labeled a certain way for the press? If that is the case, stop it and figure out a different way to label things, or tell the pressmen that you are doing it different.
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

Tracy

XMF thinks page 2 and 3 are blank on a sheet wise job.
It thinks you don't need sheet wise.
can you make a template that puts something in the corner maybe?

nordeuk@hotmail.com

We just got the 6.1.2 upgrade today, and a quick look at the fix list I noticed this "From users: When exporting jobs with blank pages, the Plate output fails"
Maybe I'm misunderstanding something here - but it still fails as before!

As some say, why would you want to render a blank plate? I guess you don't, but you don't want the job entering a state of FAILED either.

I know from experience that some of our jobs require some weird setups and job construction, and it can certainly be easier at times to leave a surface blank and not bastardizing the impo to flat work.  (which is what we currently do)

My two cents.

Holsinger60

We've just been throwing a custom mark in the corner of the blank page as suggested above and it seems to be a decent work around. It may not be the right way of doing things, but it makes it easier for everyone to keep straight what's what.