Watch that 'Default Creep' button_(tells self..)

Started by frailer, February 02, 2016, 07:12:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

frailer

Did a repeat job which already has Creep Value pre-loaded in it. We routinely go in and select first 2 + last 2 pages on our saddle stitch jobs, --> Remove Creep.
For the rest of the pages in the job we'll set "Creep Face Only'. All good.

But if you have to replace one of the Sheets, (usually with another Stripping Sheet Template), you gotta have the 'Use Default Creep' button ticked/checked on the Sheets pane. If you don't, things can go whacky. TG I thought I'd check the plate grip... 56.14mm.

Once I'd checked that button, it reverted to (wanted) 53mm plate grip. Was a hair-tearer, and I've got less and less of it.

Sharin' & Carin'

Update: I suspect that before I checked that pane, after I'd brought it in, it had a scatter effect through the job, greatly reducing the required Creep amount. I'll test properly later, but what alerted me was that XMF wanted me to re-render the whole job; usually a sign something is awry, but you've just not sussed it yet. It's like 'contaminating' the job, cos it can't accommodate a Sheet without Creep checked.
I've gone with the already-output plates for the text, and tip-toeing around with my fingers crossed.   :undecided:
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

Ear

Yep, the Y axis centering/default creep thing has had me stumped too. Figured it out quickly but I was terribly vexed when I first came across it.

Hopefully you didn't have any crossovers in the book...
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

Tracy

I created a template and when I went to use it, it still had the creep that I had assigned to the job
I didn't think a template would hold creep.
It was difficult to get the creep off 
creep off :laugh:

Ear

Right. On top of it, I always apply creep last, after all of my sizes, positions, gutters, etc... are set, but before I flow pages to other sigs.

The reason for this is, as Frailer noticed, the sheet to page position will reflect the specific creep for that page, which would be very confusing for setting coordinates. So instead of showing the original imposed, it shows coordinates for crept trim.

Here are 2 screenshots from a job with -.003 creep set. You can see the center sheet to trim, upper right (front page) is 12 inches in the X. The second screenshot is from sig 6, and in that same page slot, the distance is 11.955 inches. If I turned creep off, that sig 6 slot would go back to 12 inches.

Not a biggie, but definitely something to keep in mind.

"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

Diddler

It's for this reason that I do 99.9% of our bookwork in "Pagination Mode". 
You can't polish a Turd, but you can roll it in glitter!