Car wrap design completely fubared.

Started by Designia(o_O), April 26, 2016, 12:14:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Designia(o_O)

So we have this place that does all our car wraps. The usual designer guy I deal with is gone, so we sent them a palette to use and asked for some designs made up. What they sent back was unacceptable. So I emailed them asking for a template for the car and told them that I would do it.  Cool, fun, right? I design the whole thing, send them all my files, including the .ai, fonts, pdfs etc. Everything I used in the files I sent over.
They then turned around, took my files and changed the color of the logo. They said they were using the palette I sent over. Is this not self explanatory? The palette was for THEM to design with, when I took over the job, my files were complete. Who would ever think to change the color of a logo, 1. without being told and 2. without asking.
My boss is insisting that I should have sent a color paper proof over. OK, maybe, it couldn't hurt, but seriously. WTF?

Farabomb

I am no longer amazed by what other vendors do.

I've seen them remove my slug lines and job identifiers for no reason. I started to catch hell for that one as "there is no way they would do that to our files". Really, no way? I cced you in the email, want to open that up and see if I didn't put it in there? Yes, there were in there, the vendor changed it for no reason.

Changing a logo color is a no-no here. We do a lot of financial work and they INSIST the color must match their corporate colors. Then they send 4c low res logos for a spot job. Then they tell me that's all they have. Then they find out spot colors cost money. Then it's a 4c job with the web logo after I found a spot, vector version on the web...

I got yelled at recently because the foil guy fucked up. I admit it was a little confusing as it was many lots BUT why proceed when you don't know exactly what's going on? I sent foil only files, files with art for placement. Slightly reduced color proofs showing placement. I used the same naming convention I've used for 15 years. Because they don't know how to use computers and didn't double check when they had questions it's suddenly MY fault?

Don't ever underestimate the inventiveness of idiots.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Possum

It also is amazing how many people will say, "I wasn't sure, so I did so-and-so." If you're not sure, make sure. Too much guessing in this business.
Tall tree, short ropes, fix stupid.

Tracy

yeah, who changes a logo color?
last thing I would think of touching

DigiCorn

Quote from: Farabomb on April 26, 2016, 12:38:05 PMDon't ever underestimate the inventiveness of idiots.
You can't make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenious.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

Santa

That and every year they seem to come up with a better fool.  

2x more stupid
10% faster with a bitchy response
and capable of wasting 200% more of your time.

Seems to follow along Moore's law.

Farabomb

Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Captain_Type

Quote from: Farabomb on April 26, 2016, 12:38:05 PMI am no longer amazed by what other vendors do.

I've seen them remove my slug lines and job identifiers for no reason.

Personally, I do that all the time.

Having "bonus" items on the pasteboard
1. Slows everything down.
2. Often is where that "missing font" is located.
3. Often contains incorrect separation information (my workflow will already indicate inks on the proof).
4. Often contains incorrect trim box dimensions (my workflow will indicate dimensions on the proof).
5. Often contains marks in inks that are not used in the job, and thus not intended to be inks at all.
6. Are often positioned inside the bleed.
7. Make it very difficult to re-position pages, which is somethings I often need to do.

I delete all the spurious stuff (anything that won't print or indicate a perf), pull all the text/graphics boxes to actually fit inside the bleed, remove all ten returns at the end of stories so that the type fits inside the text box. I always figured that stuff was mostly just an ad for the designer anyway. As a general rule, the designers rarely get our cleaned up files back anyway, so they are none the wiser. I also re-position items so that they are truly centered, have consistent margins, etc. If everything was obviously positioned by eye rather than mathematically positioned, I figure the designer was just being sloppy or lazy, and the design becomes open to anything I feel would make it look better.

As far as logos go, I often get an RGB low res one, and am asked what spot color should be used. I usually go on the internet and look for a professionally done corporate publication such as an annual report. Often times, you can get a good vector logo with spot colors off of that.
Esko Automation Engine 23
ArtPro+ 23
Javelin Imagesetter

born2print

Watch out deleting pasteboard fodder, we have a client who's designer thinks it's a neat trick to group the FPO crap to live elements on the page  :death:
How will I laugh tomorrow...
when I can't even smile today?

Farabomb

What I add is a variable text box in indy that works with the PDF auto page add script. We do multiple jobs that will have the same name but differing lots. It's more so that we don't mix them up more than anything. All fonts are embedded and the trim boxes are set correctly. The fact that he removed the exact thing we told him we put on to help both of us and delivered the job all mixed up was pretty much a FU to us.

I understand why you do what you do. I get files all the time with every singe mark possible on it. I pull them off all the time, especially the color identifiers that end up on some of the files. I can tell if it's placed out of ignorance or it actually serves a purpose.

—Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Captain_Type

Yeah, you have to watch out for grouped items. I especially enjoy it when they place unnecessary rules to show me where it will fold 2 or 3 times in black ink, right up against the trim box, and then hide them behind guides so I can't see them. Then give me an 8 page PDF with those on every page (as though the back will fold differently) that I need to split into 4 different pieces. And type inside the bleed on each one to tell me which page goes with the rest, using some naming structure that does not relate to the descriptions I can see.
Esko Automation Engine 23
ArtPro+ 23
Javelin Imagesetter

Ear

This is the vendor, "fixing" your filez for you.

"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black