27" iMac can't button off

Started by frailer, January 22, 2015, 10:00:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

frailer

Was attempting to Force Empty trash with Cocktail (an on 10.6.8). .. this a normal thing I do. Although Cocktail never showed a Nor Responding in the Force Quit list, it was obviously stalled.
After Force Quitting it and trying again, same deal.  then tried emptying Trash manually, but ended up with Finder somehow stalled on something. (wouldn't allow proper shut-down (busy prompt on Finder).
Next step was to try and button off, then restart in Safe Mode with applejack. But after a minute of being off, went to press button... obviously still 'live' as Desktop leaps back. (Finder---> 'Operation in Progress...')
Has Finder over-ridden the button shut-down?
What now? I have another pp iMac I can use on Tuesday when we're back, but I don't like the feel of this.
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

frailer

Currently attempting an Relaunch of Finder from Force Quit menu.
Have a Blue screen with rotating bezel, but taking far too long for my liking.
Maybe power socket off, try in 3 days? (we have a long weekend here).
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman

Joe

Sounds like when you pressed the button you put it into sleep instead of powering it off. Hold the power button in for about 10 seconds. If that fails pull the cord.
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

frailer

OK, seem to be out of the woods. Pulled the power cord... left for a few minutes. Managed to boot back into Safe Mode>applejack.

Has restarted and got Desktop back. I never enjoy those interludes.

David

Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

Farabomb

If that scares you you'd be terrified how I sometimes have to shut down machines.

Or jumping boards to start them up.

Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         â€”Benjamin Franklin

My other job

David

kick it twice and spit in the back...

that's how we used to do it in the good ole days...   :old:
Livin' la Vida Loca

Farabomb

Why did I just think of deliverance?
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         â€”Benjamin Franklin

My other job

David

weird, my wife and I was talking about that exact show last night...  had to do with a banjo reference believe it or not.
Livin' la Vida Loca