News:

Main Menu

Retrospect revisited

Started by DigiCorn, January 10, 2012, 09:37:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gnubler

Quote from: DigitalCrapShoveler on January 10, 2012, 01:26:23 PMHey, I watched "I Saw the Devil" last night. Thoroughly entertaining... I especially liked the knife fight in the cab and the Achilles tendon cutting scene.

It's a meaty flick, for sure.
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

Farabomb

This is why I like forums. Each person has their own preferences from their experiences. I have HDDs over 10 years old that are still working fine. Wouldn't trust them for storage but they still work.

I'd like to know how a RAID 5 array failed? They are made to be redundant (it's in their name) so you can recover from failures. If more than one drive failed a once I'd consider it a fluke... or karma. :tongue:

If you want a "permanent" backup double the amount of externals. If it spans more than one external label them job#0-1200 alpha and the next job#1200-5000 alpha and so on. Restore all the libraries, name the next set of drives job#0-1200 beta and dupe them. Set your backup software of your choice (free or cheap) to run incrementals on Friday and rotate them out weekly. You will have a backup onsite, one at best a week behind offsite and when you are not backing up or pulling from backup, shut the externals off. Do a full backup monthly to stave off bit rot and you should be good.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

frailer

As a Mod, I demand that you read this first.    :laugh:

This guy knows his shit. Am running it trouble-free, pretty much. Their support is nothing short of amazing, (must be the FL sunshine, and alligators). Think it's still about $40 for the base app, then $10 per mac for the Agent.

Retrospect for Mac is a dog. Full stop.
Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now just an honorary member.

DigiCorn

Quote from: Farabomb on January 10, 2012, 02:29:34 PMI'd like to know how a RAID 5 array failed?
Alarm went off. It was supposed to be a "hot swap." Pulled one of the drives. Death.  :blowup:
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

Farabomb

I never trusted hot swap drives.

Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Ear

"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

David

My active directory took a beating and died when we had five power outages in one day.
The raid survived, but we had to do a lot of re-directing to be able just to navigate to the raids once we found out the problem. Took almost a full day to get it back online. The AD is still dead.

anything can happen.
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

frailer

Forgotten good guys: Dennis Ritchie, Burrell Smith, Bill Atkinson, Richard Stallman

Slappy

Here's the fruits of our current "solution" to date. Yup, scores & scores of CDs!!! All done through some outdated version of Retrospect. Oh, and they were created on a few different CD burners, so when you go to retrieve a job, it's a crapshoot whether you've got the CD in the right burner to read it or not. Good times.

I can't tell you how often I've wanted to squirt an entire bottle of Zippo™ fluid on that 4-drawer cabinet, flick a match & just sit back and watch it burn. Burn motherfucker BURN.  :dev2:
A little diddie 'bout black 'n cyan...two reflective colors doin' the best they can.

frailer

I feel your pain. CDs! Not even DVDs.    :sad:  Well, we're getting a new RAID5 server upstairs in the office, and pp will be archiving jobs to there. Any natives I'll ZIP fonts folders.
Theoretically, bye-bye DVD burning. Feel slightly uneasy about it though. Irrationally, I think. Our IT support, (as used by head office) is not cheap, but they seem pretty good.

Greg_Firestone

My favorite is the when people keep all their backups sitting in a cardboard box in the server room. Better pray you never have a fire or a flood.

Greg

David

hey, they are good commercial quality cardboard, and they have printing on them, and a LID!

it's all good.

no really, we have a fire proof Filing cabinet, weighs about a ton.
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

Farabomb

I've always been curious how hot it gets inside a "fireproof" cabinet. Hot enough to warp plastic? That would wreck havoc on tapes or optical storage.

Again, I still stand by HDDs for long term storage. As long as you treat them properly they will outlast optical.

—Benjamin Franklin

My other job

DigiCorn

In all my years, I have yet to have an optical disk (other than a Zip or Jazz) go bad on me. In that same time, I've had a number of HDs crap out. My belief is that optical disks are cheap, and portable, so burning redundant copies is the way to go for me. The other thing to look at here is that some of this data to be archived is so old, or been replaced/updated with newer art and will never be used again. The problem is, there's no way of knowing which files those are... and too many to go through and weed out. I don't want to write data like that to an HD that's basically just sitting there and taking up space. If it's on a blu-ray then I have it if I ever need it for something and if I don't need it it's not using up space that could be used for something else.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

Farabomb

In all my years I've had many optical disks go bad. Mishandle them and scratch the top surface and it's toast, scratch the bottom and maybe you can polish it back onto working. They are made cheaply and I've seen them delaminate in a climate controlled room. Keep a HDD in a not well ventilated enclosure or even case and watch it die. Turn it on only when needed and keep it cool and happy and it will live a long life. Drop it while it's off and it will probably survive. Hell, get a HDD dock and use internal drives and swap the out when full. Better option than external drives becasue you won't forget to shut it off. Pull the drive and park it on a shelf.

Iirc Zip and Jazz were magnetic, not optical.

—Benjamin Franklin

My other job