Workflow sample using RBA

Started by TSapp, June 15, 2011, 09:09:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TSapp

Folks,

I have a questions on the basic work flow of a document moving through Prinergy to a press.   I have a job that I am working on in a development\learning style and I am finding it frustrating.  This is where I am at right now.

Source:  a two page PDF in a single file (xxx.pdf) that is "print ready".  I say print ready with the quotes as it does not have to be ran through our design or layout team.  We are considering this a direct print item that once approved by the CSR it can go right to the printer.

Expected Output: However many copies of the page printed two to a 12X18" page.  For now, I am shooting for a quantity of 1

Job Group Created
Pre-Job Created by InSite

When I add the input files I have it run the following rule set (DP_PreJob_Task_8.5X11_Impo)

ByPass refine w\Imposition turned on (Automated Page Assignment - Overwrite Assignments, using job settings)
     This splits the document into two parts xxx.p1.pdf and xxx.p2.pdf

Import Imposition (Process - Import:ImportAll, Imposition File > imp_xxx.job (Created in Preps 6.1))
     Creates the Page set
     Creates the Imposition
     Creates the Separation framework but does not populate it

Perform APA (File > Job.apa)
     xxx.p1.pdf * 1
     xxx.p1.pdf * 4
     xxx.p2.pdf * 2
     xxx.p2.pdf * 3

At this point I can create a proof of the pre-job, view it in VPS and it looks correct with two fronts on the first page and two backs on the back

Now is where I have my question...

When the pre-job is moved to Job I run my next rule set (DP_Job_Task_8.5X11_Impo)

Read XML (Grabbing Order info from Storefront, Quantity and such)

Things get fuzzy for me after this

Edit JDF for NexPress Front End
     Adding Plus Red as the 5th Color
     Adding the Quantity from the Previous Event

Create Document

Submit Document

I have gotten this to work with a single file with no imposition but once I added the imposition I don't understand how it should flow.

I have tried putting the "Pages"  created during the ByPass refine, but it will not let me add the pages when editing the rule, so I have added the Main PDF File.  It fails...  I  added a create loose page output and told the Edit JDF to use the Output Files from the previous step and it fails. I have added a create Imposition Output Files and it has failed also.  I kind of figured that since the pages were print ready and were already split into two files that I should not have a problem. I have been trying to avoid generating the output of the Imposition because I  really don't need the separation of the colors and all the extra work since it's being sent to a digital printer (NexPress).

I need to know what needs to be done before I get to the Edit JDF step.  I also need to know what JDF template I need to use when running the Edit JDF.  I have discovered a few JDF files and job files that get created during this process.  Is there a certain one that has everything in it like the files, the paths and the imposition?

I have learned a ton with trying many different things but I think I need a shove in the right direction to get this part finished.  Not that I will never be here asking questions in the future, but I think once this is done I will have the ground work for working on all the other parts I need to work with.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Tim Sapp

Joe

OK, I'm with you right up until "Edit JDF for NexPress Front End". Was this JDF generated by Preps and reside in your %JOB%/System/ImpositionPlans folder? Then at create document/submit document, what kind of document are you creating and submitting to the Nexpress?

QuoteI have tried putting the "Pages"  created during the ByPass refine, but it will not let me add the pages when editing the rule, so I have added the Main PDF File.

By "putting the "Pages"  created during the ByPass refine" do you mean assigning to a pageset which you already did earlier? I don't think you can use the Main PDF file because it is not in the Prinergy database.

And lastly, how do you submit the file created before to Nexpress? Via Prinergy or via Kodak Digital Direct/Kodak Digital Submit?
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

TSapp

Well, I got it working today.  Since we have unlimited support from Kodak right now I gave them a call.   She walked me through being able to publish and move the job to the press manually.  After that I figured out what the rules needed to do. 

I had to use the "Publish File"  and  have it publish a PDF according to the Imposition Plan and then submit a basic JDF file to Edit JDF for NexPress and then move it to the press using Create Document and Submit Document rules.  I had to do a couple tweaks here and there but I have it working now.

Tim

Joe

Glad to hear it. I see "Publish File" in Prinergy but we don't have a license for it so I've never used it. Well, I tried it but it won't let me use it. :laugh:
Mac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (c) | (retired)

The seven ages of man: spills, drills, thrills, bills, ills, pills and wills.

David

Quote from: Joe on June 15, 2011, 02:46:08 PMGlad to hear it. I see "Publish File" in Prinergy but we don't have a license for it so I've never used it. Well, I tried it but it won't let me use it. :laugh:

Joe, did you talk to it nicely and offer it a libation?     :laugh:
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

gnubler

Quote from: david on June 16, 2011, 07:10:37 AMJoe, did you talk to it nicely and offer it a libation?     :laugh:

The nice talk won't work. Insult it, offer it a drink, and everything will be okay.
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

"As much as I'd like your guns I prefer your buns." - The G

Quote from: pspdfppdfx on December 06, 2012, 05:03:51 PM
So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

TSapp

Quote from: gnubler on June 16, 2011, 08:51:47 AM
Quote from: david on June 16, 2011, 07:10:37 AMJoe, did you talk to it nicely and offer it a libation?     :laugh:

The nice talk won't work. Insult it, offer it a drink, and everything will be okay.

I can agree with this...  I mumbled quite a few insults over the course of learning how to do this.   

As for offering a drink...  I don't think so.  I did have a nice bottle of wine at home once I got through this process.

Tim

David

Quote from: TSapp on June 17, 2011, 09:27:28 AM...I did have a nice bottle of wine at home once I got through this process.

Tim

rinse... repeat

welcome to the club, Tim!
Livin' la Vida Loca

gnubler

Quote from: david on June 21, 2011, 02:19:00 PMrinse... repeat

So you're saying it's ok?

I hope Tim comes back. One of us!
Hicks • Cross • Carlin • Kinison • Parker • Stone •  Colbert • Hedberg • Stanhope • Burr

So,  :drunk3: i send the job to the rip with live transparecy (v 1.7 or whatever) and it craps out with a memory error.

Member #14 • Size 5 • PH8 Unit 7 • Paranoid Misanthropic Doomsayer • Printing & Drinking Since 1998 • doomed ©2011 david

David

I enjoy a good bottle of wine, some nice conversation, a warm blanket, long walks on the beach, in the rain...

are you free?
Livin' la Vida Loca

gnubler

Yeah. I'll take the bottle, you can take the walk. See ya!  :laugh: :hello:

TSapp

Quote from: david on June 21, 2011, 02:19:00 PM
Quote from: TSapp on June 17, 2011, 09:27:28 AM...I did have a nice bottle of wine at home once I got through this process.

Tim

rinse... repeat

welcome to the club, Tim!

Yeah..  After today, building a demo page using InDesign and Darwin 3.0 I am thinking about picking up a bottle on the way home today. 

Quote from: gnubler on June 21, 2011, 02:33:37 PM
Quote from: david on June 21, 2011, 02:19:00 PMrinse... repeat

So you're saying it's ok?

I hope Tim comes back. One of us!

Yes, I will be coming back.  I am sure that I am going to have a ton more questions to ask in the future.  I was just told by the boss and his boss that I will be doing custom code on the Kodak Storefront to perform custom functions.  So I have plenty to learn and will generate MANY questions.   

I might even get to where I can answer a few.  :-)

Quote from: gnubler on June 21, 2011, 02:59:02 PMYeah. I'll take the bottle, you can take the walk. See ya!  :laugh: :hello:

Now that was funny!    :lmao:

Tim

gnubler

There are a few of us here working on web storefronts, me included.

Drink up.

Sabrina The Turd Polisher

Quote from: gnubler on June 21, 2011, 02:59:02 PMYeah. I'll take the bottle, you can take the walk. See ya!  :laugh: :hello:
Damn it...that's my line, Celine.  :angry:
Ambidextrous, Double-jointed Prepress Slave
We all have issues. The only people that don't are the dead ones. ©2011 Joe  |  doomed ©2011 david