Color Management of Digita Presses

Started by peeps, June 18, 2015, 10:37:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

peeps

We have an iGen 4 and a Xerox J75. We have noticed that the color is drifting even through our operators assure us that they are doing the daily maintenance and color calibration. I now that Oris make a software package to color manage digital presses. Is any one using this product or is there another product to accomplish this task.

Ear

"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

DigiCorn

If it's Creo, ???? If it's Fiery, you should be able to triangulate the color with an .icc/.icm profile file.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

Slappy

We get some noticeable drift on our iGen4 also, I don't think we use any external calibration tools or hardware though, just whatever is packaged with the Fiery RIP. I'd expect environment plays a lot into consistent color, is your press in a controlled room or out on the shop floor?
A little diddie 'bout black 'n cyan...two reflective colors doin' the best they can.

mattbeals

Quote from: Slappy on June 28, 2015, 04:51:28 PMWe get some noticeable drift on our iGen4 also, I don't think we use any external calibration tools or hardware though, just whatever is packaged with the Fiery RIP. I'd expect environment plays a lot into consistent color, is your press in a controlled room or out on the shop floor?
Environmental issues are still a big deal. I don't care what the  manufacturers say about internal environmental controls.
Matt Beals

Everything I say is my own personal opinion and has nothing to do with my employer or their views.

Farabomb

You should hear what my boss considers proper environmental issues. No matter how much proof he is shown he refuses to accept that it has anything to do about printing consistently.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Fontaholic

Do you folks keep your digital color presses in a controlled (i.e., air conditioned) environment, or just hope for the best in whatever room it happens to be stored in?

Also, do/did any of your service techs recommend the machine(s) not be near any outside walls of the building?  If yours is near an outside wall of the building, has it caused any issues with the machine(s)?

Cheers,
John the Fontaholic :drunk3:

David

our Xerox is in the prepress room which is normally kept at (approx) 72.
It is not next to an exterior wall.
We do not colormanage this press, although we could if we wanted to chase our tail constantly.
Changing out all the consumables makes it extremely difficult to keep these guys in "color" control.
Prepress guy - Retired - Working from home
Livin' la Vida Loca

Farabomb

Interesting, I was starting to research color management but the chasing your tail comment makes me wary. I don't have any digital devices besides my proofer and that thing is so far off it's not funny.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Made in Taiwan

Our presses are all standing against the wall and while the C7000 has less problems, the 1051 frequently kind of overheats. The techs keep saying it's because there's too little air circulation at the back of the machine. A/C is blowing the entire day.  Our machines are not Colorado managed.
Working in Prepress is very difficult. God chose only the best to do this job.