News:

Main Menu

HELP 20% Screen

Started by Cakeat, August 25, 2016, 05:12:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cakeat

Hello,

One of my co workers asked me to make a pms color 20% screen. He said it was suppose to make the color lighter but I'm not sure how to change the screen or what he means.

Thank you!

DCurry

That means it will print lighter - only 20% of full strength. To do this, select the object in InDesign, go to the Swatches palette and at the top you'll see the tint value. Change it to 20.
Prinect • Signa Station • XMPie

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night. But set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Cakeat

I thought it had something to do with tint but I didn't know for sure.

Thanks a bunch!

Possum

It's a handy trick to know. 20% is a common tint for phantoms - those light graphics or words that print behind something else on forms or business cards.

You can do this with CMYK colors, too. Just double click the color in the Swatches palette and a box will come up. Where it says Color Type, change Process to Spot. You'll then only get one slider in the Color box rather than all four.

You can save the 20% tint as a separate swatch if you think you'll use it on more than one item.
Tall tree, short ropes, fix stupid.

DCurry

Can't say I'm a big fan of falsely assigning a color to be spot (I'm too much of a stickler for clean files), but I get what you're saying. However, a process color can still use one slider - it's the one in the Swatches palette. No need to use the Color palette. Unless maybe you're talking about Illustrator?

If you are trying to use the sliders in the Color palette (InDesign), you can hold down the Shift key to make all sliders move together. In Illy you can hit hold Shift or Command to get same result.
Prinect • Signa Station • XMPie

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night. But set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Farabomb

And there is my lesson for the day.

Thanks man, I don't think I knew that.
Speed doesn't kill, rapidly becoming stationary is the problem

I'd rather have stories told than be telling stories of what I could have done.

Quote from: Ear on April 06, 2016, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
I once knew a plus-sized girl and this pretty much describes teh secks. :rotf:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Tracy

Interesting, this just in today, coincidence? I think not! :laugh:

http://indesignsecrets.com/indesign-basics-swatches.php

Ear

I agree with DCurry... I never use the color palette, in Indy. Swatches are where it's at.
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black

DigiCorn

I loathe the color palette.
"There's been a lot of research recently on how hard it is to dislodge an impression once it's been implanted in someone's mind. (This is why political attack ads don't have to be true to be effective. The other side can point out their inaccuracies, but the voter's mind privileges the memory of the original accusation, which was juicier than any counterargument ever could be.)"
― Johnny Carson

"Selling my soul would be a lot easier if I could just find it."
– Nikki Sixx

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
― Ernest Hemingway

Slappy

Quote from: Ear on August 25, 2016, 04:29:09 PMI agree with DCurry... I never use the color palette, in Indy. Swatches are where it's at.
Wrong!! Adobe Color Themes are what all the kidz are into these days, maaaaaaan!  :hangme:
A little diddie 'bout black 'n cyan...two reflective colors doin' the best they can.

Farabomb

The kids will be the death of us.

Something that has been said from the beginning of time, till the end of time.

Quote from: Farabomb on April 06, 2016, 11:39:41 AMIt's more like grip, grip, grip, noise, then spin and 2 feet in and feel shame.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
         —Benjamin Franklin

My other job

StudioMonkey

Like the warning on medicine bottles - 'Keep away from children' which is good advice at any time.

:git off mah lawn:
Time flies like an arrow - fruit flies like a banana

Farabomb

Well, there is that "warning" that says alcohol may intensify the affects. Depending on the drug it's a warning or in some cases, a recipe.

—Benjamin Franklin

My other job

Ear

Quote from: Slappy on August 26, 2016, 10:42:37 AM
Quote from: Ear on August 25, 2016, 04:29:09 PMI agree with DCurry... I never use the color palette, in Indy. Swatches are where it's at.
Wrong!! Adobe Color Themes are what all the kidz are into these days, maaaaaaan!  :hangme:
Agreed. But I mean it... swatches are where it's at, daddio... not what's in with the cool kids.

For instance, Bernard Purdy is FAR more "where it's at" than any of the current, popular drummers... although the guys from at The Drum Coaches are pretty awesome, especially Drum Fill Fridays...
"... profile says he's a seven-foot tall ex-basketball pro, Hindu guru drag queen alien." ~Jet Black